First bean2bar batch

eg
@eg
02/17/15 10:50:50PM
22 posts
I just finished my first bean to bar batch, and I'm afraid I under-roasted. What would be the clues that point me in that direction? I roasted to a nice brownie smell, but after winnowing and starting the refining process I found that they smelled and tasted incredibly bitter/astringent. I read (too late) that some recommend roasting beyond the first phase of brownie smell through a "vinegary" phase, and on to a second "brownie" smell. I conched in the premier grinder for 24 hrs and some of the astringent flavors dissipated but not very much. These are the"mixed bag" of test beans from chocolate alchemy - a cheap option for my first batch but unfortunately cannot compare tasting notes to John's suggestions that are offered with his other beans. In the end, it is sort of good, but very sour/bitter and tastes a bit like traditional Baker's baking chocolate. 70% cane sugar. Even if it's not exactly good as eating chocolate I'll break up this first batch and save some to compare to future batches.
image.jpg
image.jpg  •  1013KB

updated by @eg: 04/13/15 03:11:08AM
Sebastian
@sebastian
02/18/15 06:29:09AM
754 posts

Don't pay any attention to the smell phases.   They're utterly worthless, as all beans are different (they may apply to certain beans in certain circumstances).  Pay attention to your roast times/temps so you get a safe roast (roasting is your micro kill step), and do multiple roasts on the same batch of bean so you can better ascertain what's "right" for you.

eg
@eg
02/19/15 06:17:45PM
22 posts

Thank you @sebastian that is helpf

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 3 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores