EZtemper

Ruth Atkinson Kendrick
@ruth-atkinson-kendrick
05/20/15 12:30:56AM
194 posts

I just returned from a week in D. C. at a chocolate workshop. We had the opportunity of learning from Mark Heim. What vast knowledge he has. One of the new toys we played with is the EZtemper. It is a seed generator for cocoa butter. It maintains CB at a constant 33.7C. It was amazing to see this in action. I have never seen chocolate tempered any faster. You just cool your chocolate to working temp, and stir in .5-1% CB seed and stir a few times. Wait a minute and your chocolate is ready to go. We also made ganache and added it at the end. Ganaches set up in a few hours, even white chocolate ones. We also made gianduja and meltaways. This is new technology to me and I think it will change the way many of us play with chocolate.

FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg  •  106KB

updated by @ruth-atkinson-kendrick: 06/13/15 11:37:44PM
Kerry
@kerry
05/20/15 09:01:07PM
288 posts

I'm pretty thrilled that it finally got off the ground - I've been using my prototypes to temper chocolate, ganaches, meltaways and coloured cocoa butters for almost a year now. Thought it would never be finished!  

Seems only fair that artisan chocolatiers get to take advantage of the same technology that industry uses to pre-crystallize but on a small scale.

Full disclosure - Ruth took one home and I hope she'll post here what she is doing with it. Funny - I've been keeping it a secret so long that I've been hesitant to post about it - but I guess I should get some pictures of what it can do here as well.  

--
www.eztemper.com

www.thechocolatedoctor.ca
Sebastian
@sebastian
05/21/15 06:32:57AM
754 posts

Cool stuff Kerry!

Kerry
@kerry
05/21/15 08:14:06PM
288 posts

Thanks Sebastian.

Thought I'd post a picture of some chocolate I tempered using the EZtemper - on the left I dipped chocolate that had been cooled to 33.5, on the right - the same chocolate from about 1 minute later after pre-crystallizing with 1% generated seed.

Of course tempering chocolate is a bonus - it's real super power is tempering ganaches, allowing you to cut them within hours instead of days. 

--
www.eztemper.com

Kerry
@kerry
05/22/15 10:10:17PM
288 posts

Doing some experiments today using chocolate as the seed rather than cocoa butter (for the bean to bar people who don't want to add any additonal cocoa butter). Makes a very stiff paste. Preliminary results seem positive. Bugger to stir in though.

Hard to see clearly in these but the left offset in before seeding and it marks with the heat of your finger, the test on the right does not.

--
www.eztemper.com

dd
@dd
05/23/15 07:07:34AM
14 posts

seems like this is the same technology as the "Magic Temper" Device from CCMS, but smaller and cheaper(?)

Kerry
@kerry
05/23/15 09:20:13AM
288 posts

Both are based on a similar concept but without taking one apart I wouldn't be able to say if theirs uses the same technology. In terms of capacity there is not much to choose between them.

Ours does use multiple containers - you can continue to use generated seed from one container while you are waiting for the seed to generate in another container - rather than adding cocoa butter straight in to the already generated seed. And you can actually wash the containers after you have emptied them. Theirs has all the cocoa butter in one vessel and I'm not sure if you can take it apart for cleaning.

--
www.eztemper.com

Kerry
@kerry
05/23/15 12:24:57PM
288 posts

Here's what those tests from last night looked like this morning. Much clearer that preseeding was badly out of temper.

I'm awaiting delivery of some bean to bar hopefully 'badly out of temper' chocolate to continue my experiments.

--
www.eztemper.com

Sebastian
@sebastian
05/23/15 07:13:50PM
754 posts

It'd be interesting to see if someone would loan you a tricor to get some slope and ctu information on the comparisions...

Kerry
@kerry
05/23/15 07:21:36PM
288 posts

It would - know anyone with one?  I tried to make my own tempermeter - but it was an abject failure!

--
www.eztemper.com

Sebastian
@sebastian
05/24/15 07:30:18AM
754 posts

Hmm.. maybe call the folks at tricor and see if they can direct you to someone in your area that has one?  If not, any of the large mfrs will have them, be it mfr of chocolate (such as cargill, callebaut), or finished product (hershey, mars, etc).  Not sure if you have relationships with any of them...

Kerry
@kerry
05/24/15 07:37:37AM
288 posts

I'm not really in the hotbed of chocolate manufacturing - but a call to tricor might just find me someone not too far away. If I'm not mistaken Cadbury had something in Hamilton years ago - perhaps they are still close by producing.

--
www.eztemper.com

Sebastian
@sebastian
05/24/15 03:30:45PM
754 posts

Never hurts to ask - that's one of the few plants i've not been in i'm afraid. i'd suspect they have one  however

Kerry
@kerry
05/25/15 10:01:14PM
288 posts

Forgot it was a holiday in that big country south of us today when I tried to call Tricor!

--
www.eztemper.com

Sebastian
@sebastian
05/26/15 06:38:36AM
754 posts

Everyone was doing this yesterday 8-)

I couldn't fit the ribs and brisket into the photo, but they were there!

Ruth Atkinson Kendrick
@ruth-atkinson-kendrick
05/26/15 02:09:43PM
194 posts

While others were BBQing yesterday, I was making my version of Dulcey. I sealed 1000g of white chocolate in a Food Saver bag and pressure cooked for 90 minutes on high. Stirred thick mass and it thinned as it cooled. Added the EZtemper silk when temp was 89f. Moulded bars just so I have a tempered breakup bar. The eztemper silk made this a quick process.

Kerry
@kerry
05/28/15 09:42:18PM
288 posts

A little fooling around - I set one of my EZtemper units at 35 - put coloured cocoa butter in overnight and splattered and sprayed with my Fuji. Tempered some dark chocolate with the silk - added some silk to the ganache which allowed me to back them off in less than 30 minutes.

--
www.eztemper.com

Ruth Atkinson Kendrick
@ruth-atkinson-kendrick
05/29/15 05:51:10AM
194 posts

Kerry, Have you checked aW to see if it has changed?

Kerry
@kerry
05/29/15 10:01:40AM
288 posts

So - I'm trying to make some video footage (can you say frustrated beyond belief!) - so this morning I had some ganache to which I had added silk and some that I had not.  The aW differerence was no more than 0.01 between them - but I'd love it if you would do some tests as well.

--
www.eztemper.com

Ruth Atkinson Kendrick
@ruth-atkinson-kendrick
05/29/15 10:53:10AM
194 posts

I wonder if on sitting it will change over time? Have to experiment and report.

Sebastian
@sebastian
05/29/15 05:15:20PM
754 posts

I wouldn't expect the form of the cocoa butter to have any impact on Aw of the finished product.

updated by @sebastian: 09/13/15 07:19:07AM
Ruth Atkinson Kendrick
@ruth-atkinson-kendrick
05/29/15 09:11:46PM
194 posts

Sebastian, I was just wondering if it allows you to get a really good emulsion, and sets quickly, if it would affect it in anyway. Probably not:)

Kerry
@kerry
05/29/15 09:54:53PM
288 posts

Interesting though - Valrhona claims that is you mix your ganache the way that Frederick Bau shows in the video - that the aW will be lower. I have plans to test the theory!

--
www.eztemper.com

Sebastian
@sebastian
05/30/15 06:57:12AM
754 posts

I wouldn't think so Ruth, but it never hurts to do the test - that's how we learn new things sometimes!  

Kerry - the only reason Aw would be lower because of mixing would be that there were 'pockets' of high Aw areas, and testing done happened to hit one of those pockets.  It's not a function of mixing lowering Aw, it's more a function of ensuring homogeniety.  I see chefs all the time make technical errors as they're trying to explain why this or that technique is better than the other guys' technique.  The fusion of culinary and technology's a pretty cool place to be, but a lot of people don't really understand it, and as such it ends up being theater to some degree.

Kerry
@kerry
05/30/15 07:12:03AM
288 posts

Wish there was a 'Like' button Sebastian! 

I can just picture how they discovered that technique led to better ganaches.  Someone screwed up - the ganache was clumpy and almost impossible to work with - someone added a bit more cream - beat the hell out of it and voila - the BEST ganache that was ever made!

--
www.eztemper.com

Kerry
@kerry
06/06/15 07:25:30AM
288 posts

A bit of a challenge - but I made a video showing tempering and working with white chocolate using EZtemper - shows working with the chocolate at a much higher temperature allowing you to get a nice thin shell.

--
www.eztemper.com

Kerry
@kerry
06/14/15 01:43:22PM
288 posts

Plugging away editing video for the website - finally got this one up.

Ganache with EZtemper

--
www.eztemper.com

updated by @kerry: 06/14/15 09:00:19PM
Kerry
@kerry
06/19/15 09:22:19PM
288 posts

Further experiments with chocolate as seed in place of cocoa butter - using bean to bar chocolate.  http://forums.egullet.org/topic/151287-eztemper-the-help-you-need-to-achieve-perfectly-tempered-chocolate-fast/?p=2021063  - will just link rather than duplicating here.

--
www.eztemper.com

Kerry
@kerry
06/25/15 10:03:31PM
288 posts

If you are going to be at the FCIA this weekend - drop by the booth (cocktail table), say hey to Rodney and Jess - get them to talk to you about the EZtemper and put your business card in the draw for a free unit.  

https://www.facebook.com/FineChocolateIndustryAssociation?fref=nf

--
www.eztemper.com

Kerry
@kerry
06/28/15 10:59:01PM
288 posts

Here's Rodney Alleguede (www.rodneyalleguede.com) at the FCIA event in NYC manning the 'cocktail table booth' for the introduction of the EZtemper. Lots of interest generated - and one lucky individual - Elaine Boxer of @voilaChocolat took one home!

--
www.eztemper.com

Kerry
@kerry
07/04/15 05:13:03PM
288 posts

Water ganache using the EZtemper silk - http://forums.egullet.org/topic/151287-eztemper-the-help-you-need-to-achieve-perfectly-tempered-chocolate-fast/?p=2022800

--
www.eztemper.com

Kerry
@kerry
07/14/15 11:05:31AM
288 posts

New experiments are underway! I had a PM from Mark Heim (@mark-heim), who those of us who have asked a question on the Chocolate Life will know is an amazing fellow, and an extremely knowlegable confectionery industry consultant - suggesting that I test out whether the EZtemper would serve as a the perfect little incubator for keeping already tempered chocolate in perfect condition for instant use when decorating molds, etc. He mentioned that he had seen Joseph Schmidt use an extremely expensive cabinet to do this - and suspects that the EZtemper would provide a low cost alternative.

Unfortunately I haven't brought any 3D molds up north with me where I am currently working - but I'm sure I can come up with a substitute of some sort to test the theory.

Results to follow!

--
www.eztemper.com

Jessica O'Keeffe
@jessica-okeeffe
07/15/15 06:11:56AM
6 posts

Does anyone know of a similar unit available in the UK? I have been looking at an automatic tempering machine to help speed the process up but this looks like it would be a lot more useful to me overall. Any advice would be much appreciated 

Kerry
@kerry
07/15/15 06:50:20AM
288 posts

The EZtemper ships worldwide and works with all voltages. It's the only one of it's kind in the world in this price range!

--
www.eztemper.com

Jessica O'Keeffe
@jessica-okeeffe
07/15/15 07:57:06AM
6 posts

I will delve deeper, a quick look on the web sight only stated Canada/USA, thank you 

Jessica O'Keeffe
@jessica-okeeffe
07/15/15 08:04:40AM
6 posts

I will delve deeper, a quick look on the web sight only stated Canada/USA, thank you 

Kerry
@kerry
07/16/15 09:37:57PM
288 posts

Kerry:
New experiments are underway! I had a PM from Mark Heim (@mark-heim), who those of us who have asked a question on the Chocolate Life will know is an amazing fellow, and an extremely knowlegable confectionery industry consultant - suggesting that I test out whether the EZtemper would serve as a the perfect little incubator for keeping already tempered chocolate in perfect condition for instant use when decorating molds, etc. He mentioned that he had seen Joseph Schmidt use an extremely expensive cabinet to do this - and suspects that the EZtemper would provide a low cost alternative. Unfortunately I haven't brought any 3D molds up north with me where I am currently working - but I'm sure I can come up with a substitute of some sort to test the theory. Results to follow!   EZtemper  

Results of experiments so far - http://forums.egullet.org/topic/151287-eztemper-the-help-you-need-to-achieve-perfectly-tempered-chocolate-fast/?p=2024120

--
www.eztemper.com

Kerry
@kerry
07/23/15 08:30:16AM
288 posts

I've been using my EZtemper to help me make some favours for the wedding of a friend's son.

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/151520-manitoulin-if-i-can-make-it-there…/?p=2024956

--
www.eztemper.com

Kerry
@kerry
08/12/15 09:33:34PM
288 posts

Exciting week for EZtemper -  @Rodney Alleguede  went to the Chocolate Acadamy in Montreal to teach them all about their new EZtemper.

--
www.eztemper.com

Kerry
@kerry
08/28/15 08:20:42AM
288 posts

Tempered up some dark milk chocolate with the EZtemper last night and made a batch of freeze dried corn bark - yummy stuff! Ready to package in no time.

--
www.eztemper.com

angenieux drupa
@angenieux-drupa
09/12/15 04:25:18PM
15 posts

Hello kerry,

I have just receive my eztemper, i was looking for some infos before using it. Actually i was using "mycryo" cocoa butter to do my tempering before and i supposed that the eztemper will avoid me buying that (i am living in french guiana and have to order all my stuff to make chocolate abroad). I have a little experience about tempering wich i do with "bain marie". Now i am aiming to make more chocolate (i have a little scale of artisanale chocolate from tree to bar). I was thinking about buying an automatic temperer but don't really know what kind of the two methods (eztemper or automatic temperer) will be suitable for me.Any advice? Hope i made myself understood as my english is limited.

updated by @angenieux-drupa: 09/13/15 06:39:39AM
Kerry
@kerry
09/12/15 04:38:48PM
288 posts

I'm not sure if you add additional cocoa butter to your bean to bar chocolate - but one of the things that many bean to bar producers have found is that their chocolate is too viscous for an automatic temperer. Another issue with the smaller automatic temperers (such as the Revolation) is that they require tempered seed chocolate placed behind the baffle to temper your chocolate - and most bean to bar manufacturers don't have tempered chocolate to use for this.

So to start - clean one of the stainless containers - fill it with cocoa butter and place in the EZtemper overnight. Give it a stir in the morning and make sure it has reached a creamy consistancy.  

Weigh and melt some of your bean to bar chocolate - let cool to 33.5 degrees C and add 1% of the weight of the chocolate of cocoa butter silk. Give it a stir. It will be tempered and ready to use. If you are molding it into bars I'd suggest that as soon as you see evidence of crystallization around the edges that you put the bar molds into the fridge for 10 to 15 minutes to carry off the latent heat of crystallization.

--
www.eztemper.com

/ 2  

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 3 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores