regrinding chocolate in melangeur

LLY
@lly
06/08/16 12:00:51PM
52 posts

Hi,
I'm now in a process of reaching to final recipes. So, many small changes are taking place.
I'm living in a very hot and humid country (almost 40 C outside - around 27 C inside), is it possible to regrinding the chocolate with the lecithin inside and combined with more ingredients?
I found that maybe the lecithin and the humid enviroment cause the chocolate to thicken (maybe more then usual and increase the lecithin from 0.3 to 0.5 didn't help).
Am I right, the lecithin trap the humidity inside?

Thank's

updated by @lly: 07/20/16 04:57:40AM
Clay Gordon
@clay
06/08/16 12:39:21PM
1,680 posts

LLY - 

Where are you located?

If I purchase a commercial couverture that has lecithin in it I can incorporate ingredients that need to be ground in (coffee beans for example). I would depend a lot on the ingredients to be ground in.

There is a maximum amount of lecithin that can be added to a recipe before it starts to have the reverse effect, and you want to add the lecithin as late as possible in the process.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
LLY
@lly
06/08/16 01:29:26PM
52 posts

Hi, 

I'm living in Israel.

In a regular process I add no more then 0.5% lecithinm and add it in the last quarter of the grinding. As I mentioned just when I have no other choices I regrined it.

The question is: Regrinding is bad for my chocolate? or in other words: once you finish to produce chocolate, you can't just grined it again and again to see the difference?

Peter3
@peter3
06/08/16 07:24:08PM
86 posts

If I understand correctly you are talking about what is called reworking chocolate. 

Using chocolate as an ingredient to make another batch of chocolate.

In all factories chocolate batches fail from time to time (gritty, sandy or too low viscosity) and there are various methods for reworking the product.

All of them require calculations so finished product has the same composition as intended and lecithin content must be taken into consideration.

Side note:

We use conches to make chocolate and to achieve best results we add ~0.05% lecithin at the very beginning and 0.2-0.3% at the end just before final cocoa butter additions. With final content about 0.3%. This gives us the best conching profiles.

Taking above into consideration my rework recipe uses failed batch (which already contains 0.3% lecithin)  at 10% of the mixer recipe with no additional lecithin added and other ingredients adjusted. Mix gets processed in the refiners and loaded into the conche. This means that I will start with less than 0.05% of lecithin in the conche.

To sum up.

Chocolate can be reworked but only as a small part of new batch if one seeks consistency. 

LLY
@lly
06/13/16 05:22:53AM
52 posts

Thank you. Great answer.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores