Warming Cabinet to store liquid couverture

Ursula Schnyder
@ursula-schnyder
09/11/16 01:01:11AM
2 posts

Hi,

I am about to start working with my new enrobing machine and would be interested to learn how/where fellow chocolatiers store their melted couverture at 40 to 45 degrees C (110 to 115 degrees F). If I have to empty the tank because I want to switch enrobing from dark to milk couverture, I release the dark couverture into a bucket which should be stored in a warming cabinet at 40 to 45 degrees C. What kind of warming cabinets do you recommend for storing the couverture? When I did my research, I came across different brands of cabinets that heat food "up to 180 degrees F". But there was no information about the lowest temperature setting of these cabinets (Metro, Winholt). These cabinets are of course not made for the storage of couverture but for holding food in a restaurant, dining hall etc. I just don't find any other appliance with a lower temperature setting to store two large buckets of melted couverture. Any recommendation will be greatly appreciated. 

Ursula Schnyder

www.sweet55.com

Clay Gordon
@clay
09/11/16 02:32:32PM
1,680 posts

Ursula -

I would go to a local used restaurant equipment dealer and look to find a used bread proofing cabinet. You would not hook up the water because you don't need humidity control. New cabinets can cost as little as $1000, so used should be much cheaper.

The temperature control range is right in the middle of what you're looking for.

You can take the chocolate out of the tempering machine and put it into hotel pans that fit the racks in the cabinet.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Ursula Schnyder
@ursula-schnyder
09/11/16 05:05:24PM
2 posts

Thank you, Clay! I will check it out.

Christine Doerr
@christine-doerr
09/18/16 08:39:58PM
24 posts

I second Clay's recommendation. Asking Ken about a proof box at Charyn Auctions in SF.

c:

PeterK
@peterk
09/20/16 05:52:57PM
17 posts

Warming cabinets work fine, buy a used one  at a restaurant supply company and under worst case scenario you have to change the thermostat.I ran with two of these for 5 years. As an aside to anyone using a refrigerator to cool your chocolate. you may want to consider changing your thermostat to one that will run a bit warmer, we got a lot of cracking with a thermostat running very cold.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores