Where to buy molds? And need help picking a melanger

adir
@adir
09/25/16 03:51:54PM
3 posts

Hello everyone,

I'm about to purchase some chocolate making equipment, before I start I'm looking for molds to buy, mostly interested in flat bar designed molds.

I've found a few websites but they aren't cheap, where do you guys buy your molds from? And what type of material is the best choice?

Next I'm about to buy a melanger, I'm considering between either the original Chocolate Refiner or the Tilting Chocolate refiner. Which one would be better? Is the tilting ability really that useful? Any other advantages over the non tilting version.

Thanks a lot, much appreciated

Potomac Chocolate
@ben-rasmussen
09/26/16 09:10:29AM
191 posts

Hi Adir,

Molds have been discussed on this forum many times. I'd suggest doing a search for 'molds' here on TCL and reading the existing threads. There's a ton of great info here, including discussions on where to get them, materials, cleaning, and more.

I don't have any insight on which refiner to use. I use the original Premier Wonder grinders for test batches and they do very well. The Chocolate Refiner is an upgraded version of that, so I'm sure it'll be good, too. 

-Ben

Alek Dabo
@alek-dabo
09/28/16 08:07:26PM
31 posts

Hello Adir,

The Montreal based company chocolatchocolat at http://www.chocolat-chocolat.com/home/ has a wide variety of quality molds and with the CND $ where it is, the prices are good.

As for the grinder, I find the tilting capability rather important.

Good luck

--
Alain d'Aboville
Fine Chocolates
alek@daboville.com
adir
@adir
09/29/16 09:51:04AM
3 posts

Potomac Chocolate:

Hi Adir,

Molds have been discussed on this forum many times. I'd suggest doing a search for 'molds' here on TCL and reading the existing threads. There's a ton of great info here, including discussions on where to get them, materials, cleaning, and more.

I don't have any insight on which refiner to use. I use the original Premier Wonder grinders for test batches and they do very well. The Chocolate Refiner is an upgraded version of that, so I'm sure it'll be good, too. 

-Ben

Alek Dabo:

Hello Adir,

The Montreal based company chocolatchocolat at  http://www.chocolat-chocolat.com/home/ has a wide variety of quality molds and with the CND $ where it is, the prices are good.

As for the grinder, I find the tilting capability rather important.

Good luck

Thanks! this site looks good indeed and the prices are fair, and the shipping is free so that's a plus!

As for the grinder the original refiner can hold up to 4kg beans while the tilting one can hold about 5kg.

Do you have any idea what's the minimum amount any of them requires to make chocolate?

Thanks again for all your help!

updated by @adir: 09/29/16 10:02:00AM

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores