Spicy dark chocolate bars?

Rich
@rich
01/04/09 03:17:26PM
17 posts
I searched the forum for a recipe with negative results. Now that I've got tempering more or less under control (maybe and with John DePaula's help) and my chocolate covered Macadamia nuts are working, I'd like to branch out.Can anyone tell me a proper way to add heat to dark chocolate? Heat as in hot and spicy. I've tasted some dark chocolate bars with heat in them and like them. How do you make that?Chilly powder? How much and what kind?Any suggestions?Aloha
updated by @rich: 05/09/15 07:25:03AM
John DePaula
@john-depaula
01/04/09 05:15:36PM
45 posts
Finely ground chili peppers, or perhaps a chili-based oil. Some folks use black pepper. Just try a pepper you like and see what works.
Rich
@rich
01/04/09 09:50:33PM
17 posts
Thanks for the information. I was thinking powder as liquid tends to make the chocolate behave poorly right?I believe, from what I've read, that I should I put the oil, peppers, pepper into the chocolate when I first start melting it, as opposed to at the end before molding it. Is that correct?
John DePaula
@john-depaula
01/04/09 11:06:51PM
45 posts
Oil-based additions to chocolate are fine. You get into trouble when you try to add water-based liquids (this includes alcohol); the chocolate will seize. Powders are fine, but depending upon how finely they're ground, you will notice this in your mouth - not always pleasant.I would add these at the initial melt, but you could probably add them at seed time, too.
Rich
@rich
01/05/09 12:41:29AM
17 posts
Thanks John, I never thought about the powders in the mouth if not really fine. Also nice to know about water and alcohol based products reaction with chocolate.I'll let you know how it goes.Aloha.
Elaine Hsieh
@elaine-hsieh
01/09/09 09:59:17PM
25 posts
I'd like to source reliable food safe oil products - do you have any suggestions? I'm interested in infusing tea into chocolate, but haven't found any oils, and would like to achieve a very smooth mouthfeel but perhaps grinding the tea leaves?
Rich
@rich
01/10/09 12:57:57AM
17 posts
Listening to me is really dangerous, but when I was in Williams Sonoma looking for Chili oil I saw what I think were tea oils? It was in the oil section and it had to do with tea. Sorry I can't be more specific. It didn't really capture my full attention as it's a different direction, just a thought.Aloha
holycacao
@holycacao
01/10/09 12:47:18PM
38 posts
Buy some cocoa butter, buy some chilis- piquin, ancho, chipotle, whatever flavors you are working with. I have been dreaming of pairing my Dominican Organic Dark -which has a lot of raisin notes in it- with the ancho-also has raisiny flavors. Grind or chop the chilis-melt the cocoa butter- heat gently to extract the chili flavor directly into the butter-and then add to the chocolate and temper. Another way of doing it would be to throw the chilis directly into the melanguer-if you are making your own chocolate- with the nibs. Chili flavor will be dispersed very evenly throughout the chocolate. The downside (if this really is a downside) is that the spicyness will be hard to get off the melanguer and may affect future batches.I read recently on AMerican HEritage chocolate's website that the mills that used to be used to mill cocoa, were also used to mill mustard, ginger and black pepper which added a nice kick to chocolate.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores