Set up cost of starting a small chocolate business

Landia
@landia
05/23/09 09:50:51AM
4 posts
I am trying to get together a cost estimate for starting a small chocolate making business. Nothing too fancy - basic dark and milk chocolates in low volumes for starters.I am located in South Africa and am attending a chocolate making course in June, after which I am hoping to start a chocolaterie.Any information would be greatly appreciated!Thanks, Landia
updated by @landia: 04/13/15 10:50:00AM
Jeff Stern
@jeff-stern
05/25/09 07:48:50PM
78 posts
There are a number of factors that can influence your startup costs. With a few thousand dollars you can definitely get a good small operation going.Small scale melters, maybe two to start, can go from $450 to about $1200 (Mol'd'art, Hilliards, or others) each depending on size and brand.You could go with hobby grade molds if you want to do bars and other shapes, you can get pretty well set up for a couple of hundred dollars with molds. For professional grade polycarbonate molds, you can easily spend several hundred, if not several thousand dollars, pretty quickly.You'll need dipping forks if you plan to hand dip, these run about $10/each.Stainless steel tables, an immersion blender, cuisinart, and several other items are handy to have around the shop. Sheet pans and a pan rack are also handy to have around, no matter how small you are. A hot plate or gas burner and some good stainless steel cookware for making caramels come in handy. Let me know if you need more detail or ideas and I'd be happy to contribute.
Susie Norris
@susie-norris
05/26/09 11:00:03PM
21 posts
Hi. You should probably investigate the health department regulations in the area you plan to work. Some states in the US (like California) do not allow commercial food production in home kitchens. This can drive up your costs because you may have to rent commercial kitchen space and/or become a certified food handler. I've worked in California and Massachusetts and found the licensing, certification and kitchen rentals generate several hundred in expenses. Good luck!!
Landia
@landia
05/27/09 04:26:41PM
4 posts
Hi Jeff,Thank you so much for your feedback. Very helpful indeed!What's an immersion blender and how much would one of those cost?Will we need air conditioners?Where are you based?Thanks for the help :)Landia
Landia
@landia
05/27/09 04:29:03PM
4 posts
Hi Susie,I need to check up on that. We're in South Africa, so I'm hoping the restrictions will be less stringent.Thanks for the advice!Cheers,Landia
Jeff Stern
@jeff-stern
05/27/09 06:00:31PM
78 posts
An immersion blender is like a blender, but on a stick. The motor and control is mounted on the top, you have a rod that extends down from the motor, and at the base are the blades. You immerse it in whatever you're blending. A good commercial one starts at $150 or more. The home ones burn out too fast in my experience.If you can have a work environment with stable temps between about 60-68F, or 16-19C, it's ideal.I am based in Quito, Ecuador. Just let me know if you have any other questions!Jeff
Paul Mosca
@paul-mosca
05/29/09 12:53:54PM
18 posts
Hi Landia,Best of luck with your chocolate project. My drum teacher always said,"less is more." I'm in my second year of my chocolate project and it is difficult to follow that advice. There are a lot of people willing to sell you just about anything. My advice is to collect information and share information with other chocolate makers. A fair equal exchange can save you some money. Spend slowly and wisely.Best of luck.Cheers,Paul Mosca
Gerhard Beukes
@gerhard-beukes
07/16/09 05:31:17PM
1 posts
Hi Landia, My name is Gerhard. I live in Pretoria and are interested to do a chocolate making course. Could you offer advice on who to contact. Any information would be greatly appreciated.Regards Gerhard
Landia
@landia
07/17/09 04:35:29PM
4 posts
Hi Gerhard,This studio is said to be excellent: http://www.chocolatestudio.co.za/about-studio.php There is also a course in Jo'burg that's not as expensive.Shout if you need more info :)Landia
Ankur Bhargava
@ankur-bhargava
08/06/09 05:50:13AM
3 posts
Hello Landia,I wish you all the best for your business prospects. I remember the initial days of my farther 10 years ago who started to make chocolates as a hobby. We have now expanded the idea 10 fold, and have become regular suppliers for a host of chocolate related products (molds, machines, transfer sheets etc. etc.)We now act as regular suppliers for molds for a number of independent business persons in Europe, UK and have also had previous experience of dealing with a few clients in Africa.When you have a spare minute or two, please have a look at our website: http://www.ipfco.com You will find a lot of information there. I am sure we can be of much assistance.Thanks and best wishes.
Julie Helzer
@julie-helzer
08/27/09 06:46:37PM
8 posts
I would also take into account the weather in South Africa and find a space you can control the temperature year-round.
John Doyle
@john-doyle
08/29/09 11:39:55AM
1 posts
Make sure that you watch the humidity level as well. It can ruin a good days production if there is too much water in the air.
Onalenna Setilo
@onalenna-setilo
05/15/12 03:43:04AM
2 posts

Hi Landia,

I am so excited i somehow went to this page, I am interested in chocolate making, small production for starters as well. I am based in Botswana and would like to attend a course somewhere nearer to Botswana. Johannesburg will be ideal, kindly advice of other places one can get training.

regards

Ona

antonino allegra
@antonino-allegra
05/16/12 08:56:17AM
143 posts

Hello Landia,

where are you going to open your chocolate business?

We do chocolate in Cape Town, we offer support to all our customers that want to know about chocolate!

Onalenna Setilo
@onalenna-setilo
05/16/12 09:43:44AM
2 posts

Hi antonino,

I will be setting up in Botswana.

regards

Ona

antonino allegra
@antonino-allegra
05/16/12 09:50:58AM
143 posts

Great, best of luck with your new business!

Will you produce bean to bar or become a chocolatier?

If you are into chocolatier, you can contact us, we make organic chocolate here in SA.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • one month ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores