xylitol in chocolate?

Frank Schmidt
@frank-schmidt
05/28/09 07:52:02AM
28 posts
Does anyone here have experience with xylitol as a sweetener in chocolate? I'm wondering if your results were acceptable either with xylitol as the main sweetener or when it was added to make a confection to the base chocolate?Thanks
updated by @frank-schmidt: 05/01/15 07:12:11PM
Brad Churchill
@brad-churchill
05/30/09 03:33:28AM
527 posts
There's a great thread on alternative sweeteners for chocolate at the following website: http://chocolatetalk.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=diet&action=display&thread=391 It gets pretty scientific in some places, but is a culmination of deep knowledge from industry professionals.Best Regards.Brad.
Mark Heim
@mark-heim
06/01/09 10:28:04AM
101 posts
Xylitol will work but has a cooling effect when it dissolves in the mouth, due to negative heat of solution. There are other sugar replacers that do not have as strong a cooling, such as maltitol. I would not depend on fat eutectics as the cooling is only while eating, not storage, and adding another fat to soften, it will stay softened in storage, handling, etc, and you need to watch for bloom.
Nat
@nat
06/07/09 03:05:20AM
75 posts
I've made some chocolate with xylitol as the sweetener and found it to be quite strange and no one I gave it to liked it much, though I never gave it to any diabetics or others who can't eat sugar-sweetened chocolate. Normally everyone devours my chocolate, but the xylitol one they were not gonzo over.It has the weird cooling effect others have mentioned, and the supposed sweetness factor (something like 1.5x sweeter than sugar) the manufacturers claimed didn't seem to play out in the over-sweetness of the final bar.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores