Small equipment for pouring chocolate.

Rich
@rich
12/11/09 10:12:33PM
17 posts
This rank amateur is looking for a piece of equipment to use for pouring melted chocolate into molds and papers. I'm tired of having messy streaks on the side of my nice white candy papers. Can someone make a recommendation please? I'm only doing around 50 small pieces at a time.I remember seeing a metal funnel with a trigger mechanism, but I don't know what it's called so I can't Google it. I've seen a small plastic funnel with a trigger. And I've thought of a syringe.Any thoughts?Aloha
updated by @rich: 04/29/15 09:13:55AM
Kerry
@kerry
12/12/09 08:56:19PM
288 posts
That would be a confectionery funnel - not actually all that useful for chocolate, given the speed at which chocolate cools. Look under kitchen equipment here - http://www.dr.ca/ I have seen a european version that is heated which might be more helpful.I either use a disposable plastic pastry bag if I need the control piping chocolate into particular items - or I scoop with my favorite ladle for filling plates of molds.

--
www.eztemper.com

www.thechocolatedoctor.ca
Rich
@rich
12/12/09 10:03:01PM
17 posts
Thanks for the info. I've tried the bag, but I find it difficult to make it stop pouring.
Ilana
@ilana
12/13/09 01:31:10AM
97 posts
piping bags are ideal IMHO. If the tip is cut small enough-by experience you will know how much to cut for each shape in the molds. I think on the callebaut site they have a video of filling molds so you can see how akind of quick lift and small twist of the hand allows filling exactly with no extra drips-usually. Practice makes perfect-and it really is not difficult. I don't have the best "hands" as they say, and I do it...! Good luck.
Carlos Eichenberger
@carlos-eichenberger
12/13/09 08:25:59AM
158 posts
Rich,For small jobs where it's not worth turning on the Savage pump, I use a 100cc syringe. It's cheap and convenient and avoids a lot of the messes of having to fill up funnels or pastry bags because you draw the chocolate directly from its container. It also allows you to dose very precisely.If you want to go fancier and higher capacity, the funnels are a good choice. They call them dosing funnels in the chocolate supply websites, and there are manual models and automatic ones with pre-set doses. Be prepared to separate yourself from at least $200 with this alternative. Both Tomric and Chef Rubber carry them, among others. Kerry's comment about rapid cooling is spot-on, especially with the metal models. I suppose you can prevent some of this by pre-heating the funnelHTH
Rich
@rich
12/13/09 03:48:06PM
17 posts
Thanks Ilana and cheebs. The piping bags 'look' easy. I'll try them to see if I can get the hang of it after watching a couple videos.The syringe is still interesting to me. Makes sense, especially since you can draw the chocolate into the syringe.Those funnels are expensive. I found a polycarbonate one online which is on sale for $175. Wow! The polycarbonate should eliminate some of the cooling effect of the metal funnel, but $175????? Hmmmm......
Brad Reardon
@brad-reardon
12/17/09 04:23:37PM
2 posts
Just a side note from the new guy:You may want to do some investigating before using polycarbonate these days. Even if the full effects of BPa haven't been truely tested, the shoppers I have heard from will still react if it is used. Safe or not. Just something to keep in mind.
Rich
@rich
12/17/09 09:45:50PM
17 posts
Thanks for the input. I don't sell my product and I don't have any friends or family who are so concerned about plastic that they would turn down Valrhona because it went thru a polycarb funnel to get into a paper wrapper.
Andrea3
@andrea3
12/18/09 10:57:30AM
22 posts
I don't know how large you are looking for but Wilton makes a small, very cheap one. http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E310260-475A-BAC0-592FC83E2DC134E2&killnav=1 You can pick them up at Wal-Mart or other stores that have a cake/candy decorating section.Andrea
Rich
@rich
12/18/09 01:42:44PM
17 posts
You know I saw this small funnel online, but didn't know where to get it locally. At that price I think it's worth a look. Thank you.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 4 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores