Metal Mold Refinishing

Steve Kurz
@steve-kurz
01/03/10 11:54:16AM
10 posts
I was looking through my molds and found some of them have what appears to be blemishes on the inside. It may also be the start of rust. These molds were my father's and I am not certain of the storage. I would like to explore having them refinished, but have no idea where or the cost. I am not a choclotier by any means, but some of the molds are rare and I enjoy making them at Easter for friends, or just showing them off.Can anyone point me in the right direction?
updated by @steve-kurz: 04/21/15 05:21:29AM
Duffy Sheardown
@duffy-sheardown
01/03/10 01:53:31PM
55 posts
What are the backs of the moulds like? Are they really made of steel? Aluminium (sorry, UK spelling!) seems more likely. Try polishing or re-working an area on the back of a mould to see if you like the result before attacking the used side.Duffy
Steve Kurz
@steve-kurz
01/03/10 02:07:40PM
10 posts
Here are a couple of crude picts from one of them. It is an 18 1/2" mold, with only 8000 as a stamped ID on it. One of the blemishes can be seen as a black area in the bottom of the "basket"
Arun Bhargava
@arun-bhargava
01/03/10 03:55:02PM
3 posts
Hi Steve,We make and sell vriety of moulds ( www.ipfco.com ), but I have never had opportunity to work with a metal chocolate mould.I had a look at the picture, and based on my experience of making metal tooling for our moulds, I would say as follows:1. Most important - don't do any thing, till you are sure of what to do.2. From the picture, it is difficult to know the metal of it. It can be aluminium, or tin plate. I know of some aluminium moulds with are made with Cast aluminium, but your mould does not look like them. It looks more a sheet metal.3. The close up pictures are a bit blurred, but it seems, that inside of the mould, is in a much better condition, but out side surface does have blemishes. Inside blemishes, what ever they are, look very small.4. What should I tell to you do??a) If possible, show the mould to some hardware person, or an metal engineer to be sure, what metal it is.b) Depending upon, metal, you get rust removing sprays, that you spray on effected surface, leave it for some time, and then scrub clean. A caution - after cleaning the surface may look dull, and may need shining, so, after removing rust, you will need to use a suitable polishing agent, and your hands to get back shine. Your neighbourhood hard ware store could give you necessary advise on this.c) a very unlikely, but possible chance - what you think rust, is actually chocolate deposit. So, have a very close look. Use warm cloth or warm soapy water to rub it off, if it does. If it is stuck badly, use a wooden stick, like tooth pic, to scrap it out.Just check on these, and if you think OK, please get back here with what ever results. Would love to know, what happened.All the best.Arun.
Brian Donaghy
@brian-donaghy
01/04/10 02:03:40PM
58 posts
Steve.Traditionally metal chocolate moulds were made of steal and then coated in tin. The industry has gone to plastic over the forty or so years.Don't know if that helps??brian
Kerry
@kerry
01/08/10 11:04:51PM
288 posts
The little blemishes you see are called tin mite. You can try carefully polishing with some calcium carbonate powder (available in asian grocery stores) to try and remove them. If they are small enough they may not interfere too much with molding. I have also carefully applied a bit of naval jelly (a rust remover) before the polishing, but don't leave it on too long or it will eat in to the good metal.I have quite a number of metal molds, and I find I like molding with the newer polycarbonate figural molds more, in part because I can see where I have bubbles and where I have painted the eyes etc on the mold. They also seem to fit together better and don't give me the little rim of chocolate that has to be trimmed off after molding.

--
www.eztemper.com

www.thechocolatedoctor.ca
Steve Kurz
@steve-kurz
01/09/10 08:13:31AM
10 posts
Thanks for the info. I will try the polishing. Unfortunately, most of the molds are one-of-a-kind, or I just have not seen them anywhere. I am sure that there are lots of them out there. I have never seen polycarbonite versions of some of them.
Ruth Atkinson Kendrick
@ruth-atkinson-kendrick
01/09/10 06:04:03PM
194 posts
You can get them re-tinned. http://www.metalcoatingcompany.com/history.html We were in the metal finishing business for years, but not in the tinning end of it. It is a hot dip process and they come out looking like new. I don't think it is all that expensive. Dairies have to get their milk cans re-tinned from time to time. It is FDA approved for food contact.
Steve Kurz
@steve-kurz
01/10/10 08:36:47AM
10 posts
That is exactly what I was looking for. I will definately contact them! Thanks!

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 4 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores