Box labels

Valerie
@valerie
05/05/10 07:19:34AM
29 posts
I'm getting close to launching my chocolate brand and I'm struggling with labels right now. Are there any tips for accommodating differing ingredients and weights by box? I'd like to print the labels in bulk to save on cost, but I don't want to be stuck into a certain flavor combination dictated by my ingredient label, and while my boxes fit a standard number of pieces, depending on what those pieces are the weights vary. I'm in MA and have tried reaching out to the state's regulating authority on this, but haven't been able to get through. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

updated by @valerie: 04/19/15 06:45:09PM
Clay Gordon
@clay
05/05/10 09:13:50AM
1,680 posts
Although the up-front costs can be higher than getting someone else to print labels for you, consider a label printing machine.You can get label stock that fits your boxes and literally print only exactly the quantity you need. Zero waste.You can create a basic template that you use over and over again, and then make variations for specific boxes.In the end, you can save a lot of money this way and even open up corporate/gifting options with custom labels with your customers' logos. Most machines are not too much larger than a multi-function printer/copier/fax machine.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Valerie
@valerie
05/05/10 10:40:58AM
29 posts
Thank you Clay. Do you have any suggestions for high quality label printers?
Deanna Moore
@deanna-moore
05/05/10 10:53:03AM
9 posts
I agree with Clay. By printing your own labels you get much more control and flexibility as you are starting up. Here are two of the higher-end label-printers I know of:Primera: http://www.primeralabel.com/ Labeltronix: http://labeltronix.com/ There are probably more though.We print some of our own labels in black & white from a regular canon printer, and get our blank labels from onlinelables.com. Using a good "regular" printer works too.Should you go a different route, you can get an online quote for short-run printed labels from lightninglabels.com. They are cheap (for short runs), easy, fast & great quality. As long as the labels are the same size, you can have several variations with very little additional costs since they do everything digitally and there are no plate fees, etc...hope this helps.Best!
Dianne Trinque
@dianne-trinque
02/26/11 11:12:54PM
3 posts
Do the label printers also print bar codes? I'm starting to work with a few corporate clients, and I think they're going to want some sort of bar coding to enter my product into their systems.
Yvonne Janowski
@yvonne-janowski
02/27/11 02:13:53PM
3 posts
Thanks so much for this info Clay and Deanna! I am also struggling to figure out how to proceed with labeling for my product and will definitely explore this possibility.
Clay Gordon
@clay
02/27/11 09:24:54PM
1,680 posts
Yes, they can - if it's part of the design. There are a number of on-line barcode generators. If you need real UPC codes and numbers you have to purchase the UPC codes. One you have them (they are supplied digitally), any printer can print them.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 3 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores