Belgium Chocolate Tour ideas

Jeff Slaughter
@jeff-slaughter
05/07/10 10:40:04PM
15 posts

Dear Chocolate Life Members,

I recently posted some comments to questions by a member about her upcoming trip to France and Belgium.

Having lived in Europe for more than 10 years, I've learned a bit about Belgium and France and even have a website about Brussels (see site address at end). Clay thought some of you might be interested in my comments, so I'm posting them in this section. I'm sure many of you have some things to add about your favorite chocolate experience in Europe.

Here we go....

Post #1:

Hi!

Great to hear from you.

If you are flexible on when you can travel, flights are least expensive pre-summer and post-summer. If you can stay near the Grand Place - say in the Ibis Hotel - you'll be close to much of the action and chocolate.

For a Grand Place Chocolate Tour here's what I recommend:

1. Tasting at Neuhaus (in the Grand Place)

2. Tasting at Godiva (in the Grand Place)

3. Tasting and a quick demonstration watch at Chocopolis (near Ibis)

4. Tasting and demo at Planete Chocolat (behind the Grand Place - see my website, Belgium Chocolate section)

5. Cafe Tasse tasting - also great place for coffee, hot chocolate and charm - see my site for directions. Five minute walk from Grand Place.

6. Tasting at Galler Chocolate in the Grand Place (nice packaging too)

7. You should be able to do all of that in a few hours. Then I'd go to the Sablon Square and visit Wittamer Chocolate - a small upscale boutique that only has one shop.

8. Across from Wittamer is Pierre Marcolini - also upscale. (See my 'Shopping page' under 'Attractions'.)

9. I don't recommend the chocolate museum in the Grand Place - to me it's a disappointment. You can read my story on it and decide for yourself. If you are able to go to Bruges and visit 'Choco Story' Museum - that's better.

When I say 'tasting' above, you'll have to choose a few chocolates to buy. The only one who will give you a free chocolate (one!) is Chocopolis. At least that's my experience.

There's also a Leonidas in the Grand Place, but I think the other chocolate shops are better.

You might also want to take a walking tour with Brussels Walks. They have a chocolate tour you can look into (also on my site.)

Let me know if I can answer any more questions!

Jeff

----------------------

Post #2:

Hi again!

Most people who come to Belgium visit Brussels, Brugges and Antwerp. Not sure how deep you want to go in Belgium, but as you probably know, Belgium is known for chocolate and has some 300 independent chocolatiers. If your focus is chocolate, I'd say a day in Brussels and a daytrip to Bruges (by train) would be enough. Bruges is a very beautiful city, built on canals, and very charming. Plus the Choco-Story museum is there as well as some independent chocolatiers (one was featured in a Rick Steves guidebook.)

If you are only going to Paris and Brussels and not renting a car, I'd say fly in and out of Paris and then take a train from Paris Nord to Brussels Midi. From there, you can connect to Brussels Central which is just a three-minute walk to the Grand Place. You can stay in a Grand Place hotel (like the Ibis), do the Grand Place and Sablon chocolate tours, and then take a train to Bruges for a day.

To get to Barry Callebaut in Wieze, Belgium, I think you might need to rent a car. You can do that from the Brussels airport, which you can access easily by taking a train from Brussels Central directly to the airport.

Let me know if you have any more questions. Happy to help.

Jeff

www.brussels-belgium-travel-guide.com

updated by @jeff-slaughter: 04/10/15 07:50:43AM
Wendy Buckner
@wendy-buckner
05/15/10 03:36:27PM
35 posts
Hi there Jeff! I just turned in my grant proposal for this trip! I really appreciate your advice! It was a huge help for me! Now that I have that under my belt...I will patiently wait to hear if I get to go there or not. If I don't get the grant...atleast I have a nice itinerary planned for when I can save up enough money to go. Thanks again! Please let me know if I can ever help you in any way! ~Wendy

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores