compressed air?

Robyn Dochterman
@robyn-dochterman
07/13/10 12:44:06PM
23 posts
Hi folks. I'd like to do some experimenting with decorating molded chocolates. Specifically, I'm thinking of putting a drop of colored cocoa butter in the bottom of a mold, and then hitting it with a shot of canned, compressed air to drive it across the cavity.

The can I just saw said it included a "bitterant" to dissuade kids from inhaling it. Anyone know if the bitterant will ruin the taste of the chocolate?

Would something using carbon dioxide cartridges be a better choice? (as you've probably guessed, I do not current have an air compressor, or I'd just be using that). Thanks for suggestions, ideas, thoughts!

updated by @robyn-dochterman: 05/05/15 06:20:12AM
Clay Gordon
@clay
07/13/10 03:18:58PM
1,680 posts
Yes, a bitterant will negatively affect the taste of the chocolate.Interestingly, David Funaro of Godiva d emonstrated just such a technique at the recent World Pastry Forum in Phoenix. Although it's not a part of this video he did discuss his experiences using compressed air with a bitterant added and says to stay away.There are several places where you can get cans of compressed air that do not have added bitterant. One of them is Chef Rubber.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Robyn Dochterman
@robyn-dochterman
07/13/10 05:51:40PM
23 posts
Thank you, Clay. I should have thought of Chef Rubber!
Kerry
@kerry
07/13/10 07:42:49PM
288 posts
I was looking at the can used to clean the computer keyboard at work, first time I've noticed the bitterant label on one. Of course I'm miles from home and my chef rubber can is there. I saw that demo and wanted to start playing with it.

--
www.eztemper.com

www.thechocolatedoctor.ca
Robyn Dochterman
@robyn-dochterman
07/13/10 08:41:17PM
23 posts
Wow. I just fixed my speakers and watched this video. It's exactly what I was thinking of. Weird. I had no idea this was shown at WPF. I better figure out how to attend next year!
Michael Long
@michael-long
07/13/10 11:52:57PM
1 posts
I am so glad someone asked this question. Being a Newbie I often wondered what kind of Compressed Air to use, I have an Air compressor, But that would blow the chocolate into next week. And I was thinking about the computer canned Air. But now I see I better get some regular baking canned air. Or something a long those lines. So actually I answered my own question.
Kerry
@kerry
07/14/10 06:52:19PM
288 posts
You can put an airbrush on your compressor and use it to blow only air, But ramp back the PSI.

--
www.eztemper.com

www.thechocolatedoctor.ca
F Schenstead
@f-schenstead
08/15/10 05:42:51PM
3 posts
What I have been using are hand pump plastic containers, that you fill with oil (olive oil) pump several times and used to replace commercial cans of pam or the likes in my muffin baking, ect. These pump plastic cans work well pumped several times with nothing in them for chocolate work, no running out, no compressors, nothing except the same air in your surroundings, easy to control temps that way as well.
Wendy Buckner
@wendy-buckner
08/15/10 11:44:17PM
35 posts
Oooo...That is a smart suggestion! Nice thinking!

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores