Sahagun Coffee Bar

Nat
@nat
11/02/10 05:47:09AM
75 posts
Not achocolate bar, but made in the same vein, has anyone tried Sahagun's coffee bar in Portland? I'd like to try it, or try making my own, but not really willing to pay the $10 shipping for a $5 bar if it's not amazing.

Anyone know what's in it besides coffee? I was talking with a coffee researcher here in Hawaii about making one of these, but he thinks the coffee oils would behave sodifferently from cocoa butter, that it would be hard for it to work.

updated by @nat: 04/10/15 01:13:12PM
Scott
@scott
11/02/10 12:08:55PM
44 posts
Yes. Ingredients are cocoa butter, coffee, and sugar. Tastefulness and execution are excellent. Montes set the standard by which imitators will be judged. It's up to you, of course, but $15 seems like a small price to pay for a product you're considering reverse-engineering.
Sarah Hart
@sarah-hart
11/02/10 03:40:04PM
63 posts
I have had Sahagun's Kapow bar and it is excellent. Worth every penny.
deborah2
@deborah2
11/02/10 09:22:35PM
25 posts
What an interesting concept! I just ordered one myself ($7 shipping to here) and may also try making it, depending on how I like hers. Cafe au lait might be nice. I wonder if you have to temper it before molding?
Sarah Hart
@sarah-hart
11/03/10 12:18:49AM
63 posts
Pretty certain you'll have to temper the bar- cocoa butter is a big part of it.
Nat
@nat
11/03/10 02:43:28PM
75 posts
I just bought one of these and their Sundrop truffles with sunflower seed honey filling since the recommendations were so high for all their chocolate. I talked to Elizabeth on the phone and she was able to do lower-cost USPS flat rate shipping on request. Looking forward to trying it!
Seneca Klassen
@seneca-klassen
11/04/10 02:07:51AM
17 posts
Speaking of other non-chocolate things to do with cocoa butter: http://newyork.seriouseats.com/2010/01/dave-arnold-makes-chocolate-ketchup.html
Nat
@nat
11/05/10 06:18:30PM
75 posts
Ha! That's hilarious Seneca! Thanks for posting that.I guess you could make most edible liquids solid at room temp by putting them in cocoa butter but it seems like a pain since you have to temper it then too.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores