Where to find cocoa pulp?

Benoit N
@benoit
04/05/11 04:32:14AM
14 posts

Hello

I am trying to find a reliable source of cocoa pulp.

Who can help me?

Benot

updated by @benoit: 06/29/23 06:49:02PM
Jim2
@jim2
04/05/11 10:08:08AM
49 posts

Benoit,

I assume you are refering to the liquid encapsulated by the cocoa pod. If that is true, you must find someone willing to collest the material during harvest periods and freeze immediately. The liquid contains a substantial amount of sugar and will begin fermentation soon after the pod is opened. here in Brazil, the liquids are collected and frozen later to be incorporated into "cacau juice" which is a popular drink in the cacau regions.

What quantities are you requiring and for what period of time?

best regards

Jim Lucas

Jim2
@jim2
04/06/11 01:30:16PM
49 posts
On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 9:46 AM, Jim Lucas <cacaufarmer@yahoo.com> wrote:
Benoit,
The "pulp" you are referencing is an integral part of the cacau fruit (pod). The seeds (cacau beans) are surrounded by this viscous material. When the fruit is ripened, the "pulp" is at it's highest sugar content and very flavorful. In order to capture the "pulp", one needs to be present when the fruit (pods) are opened and the seeds (cacau beans) removed. Typically "pulp" is collected by placing the newly harvested beans in a centrifugal separator which quickly removes liquids from the bean mass. The collected liquids are sieved to remove large solids and stored in 100-250 ml packets which are frozen and stored.

There are many points of distribution in the cacau regions of Brazil and if you would like to follow the trail, I will be happy to send references. Bear in mind the "pulp" must remain frozen until it is consumed and shipping could get complicated and pricey.

In our farms, the pulp or mel (honey) is extracted during normal harvests and consumed within hours of collection. Families living in the farms typically maintain refrigerated stocks for daily use and find it much less costly and more healthy than cola drinks. We do not process with a centrifuge because of the requirement for a sugar rich environment to initiate fermentation. During fermentation cycles, the pulp drains from the fermentation boxes under gravity forces and normally is complete after 48-72 hours. Once drained, it becomes waste and is processed as such,

Best regards
Jim Lucas
Jim2
@jim2
04/07/11 06:01:33AM
49 posts
Benoit,
The juice we drink is not pasteurized and I doubt that it is available in this area. I live in the cacau farm and we daily use fruits, fruit juices and vegetables that come from our garden or orchards. I'm afraid we are a bit primitive for some of the 1st world customs

Sorry...I guess you will have to come visit us to drink cacau pulp!
Best regards
Jim Lucas

Roberto Pombar
@roberto-pombar
04/04/12 10:50:23PM
2 posts

hello benoit my name is Roberto from Ecuador , i am a reliable source of cocoa pulp , i can export my product and have excellent quality, i have heard this is used in chocolate industry as an improver.

if you are likely i can give you more details about my frozen cacao pulp industry.

thanks

email: robertopombar@hotmail.com

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores