Coconut oil and chocolate smoothies

Cathy Kuepfer
@cathy-kuepfer
06/24/11 04:21:16PM
8 posts

We make a variety of flavoured chocolate smoothies, (aka the poor man's truffle). We use a microwave to soften the coconut oil.Originally, wejust softened it enough to whip it to a mashed potato consistency, and it worked quite well, and set fairly quickly.

Then, even though we did not change coconut oil brand, it seemed to be grainier at whipped potato texture and we had to heat it longer, and now, unless it is melted completely, it still has a grainy texture, which shows up as white spots in the finished smoothie. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

updated by @cathy-kuepfer: 04/11/15 06:51:08PM
Ice Blocks!
@ice-blocks
06/24/11 10:57:51PM
81 posts

I find the coconut oil / butter handles very differently at different times of the year - but we are in Australia. In summer it's very easy to separate from coconut cream and milk as it's liquid, similarly in winter its easy an its hard. There are transitional temperatures where it appears grainy and is like sludge. Maybe your working at some transitional temp. From memory it melts at about 27 degrees centigrade.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores