The differences between Temper 1 and Temper 2 on Chocovision machines

Clay Gordon
@clay
08/08/11 07:58:45
1,680 posts

ChocolateLife member Jan van Portvliet sent me the following question last week:

I am using the revolation delta. Great machine for what I do.

I have a question though and you might be able to give me an answer.

There are two tempering sets,tempering 1 and tempering 2. Tempering 1 goes back to the working temperature and tempering 2 first goes to the colder temperature and then heats up to the working temperature.

What is thedifference between the two?

I sent the question off to Chocovision and got the following response:

There are two temper modes; Temper 1 and Temper 2.

The Temper 1 cycle takes the chocolate from the set melt point to the set temper point. The Temper 2 cycle takes the chocolate from the set melt point to 3.5 degrees (F) below it, and then warms it to the set temper point.

In scientific terms, taking the temperature down allows the beta, alpha, and gamma crystals to nucleate more rapidly. Bringing the chocolate to the end temperature not only stops the nucleation of the alpha and gamma crystals but also melts out any alpha and gamma that have not transformed into beta crystals.

In a nutshell, Temper 2 gives more time (and better temperature conditions) for beta crystals to develop. Higher milk fat in chocolates inhibits beta crystal nucleation so Temper 2 is important to utilize, hoewever, it would over-thicken a chocolate that has no ingredient to inhibit crystal growth.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/

updated by @clay: 04/20/15 17:47:06
Jan van Poortvliet
@jan-van-poortvliet
08/29/11 15:29:34
5 posts

Thanks for that Clay. Very helpful now I understand. I was always doing the temper 2, it takes a bit more time but knowing now that it makes the chocolate just that bit better is good to know.

I bought another Delta, great machine for smaller quantities.

Cheers

Jan Chocogram Australia

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

kapil jain

kapil jain

kapil jain

@kapil-jain • 7 years ago

Chocolatevenue is an online chocolate store in India.We are specialized in customized chocolates  .Chocolates can be customized as chocolate message and chocolate bars.

You can get written your message on chocolates and can get customized your chocolate bars by selecting the desired ingredients.

for more details

colorchocolate

@colorchocolate • 7 years ago

FOR SALE / BARGAIN / FINE CACAO LIQUOR, COLOMBIA ORIGIN

Enjoy a delicious premium chocolate from the Boyacá region of Colombia, considered among the best in the world. We offer a 200 kilograms lot of pure origin cocoa liquor,  fair trade / ethically sourced. N o other ingredients added.

The price for this high quality product is as follows:

1 kg - US$ 13

100 kg - US$ 12 per kilo

200 kg - US$ 11 per kilo

Inquires: equalcolombia@gmail.com

- See more at: https://www.thechocolatelife.com/colorchocolate#sthash.JFDWYFuK.dpuf

- See more at: https://www.thechocolatelife.com/community/forums/my_posts/18453/fine-cacao-liquor-colombia-origin#sthash.2pUq4Eu3.dpuf

Clay Gordon

@clay • 7 years ago

FCIA Recognition of Excellence Nominations close in one week:

Clay Gordon

The 4 Chocolatiers

@the-4-chocolatiers • 7 years ago

Two changes we made with the chocolate is that this time we winnowed the chocolate. This time we didn't use a blow dryer to melt the chocolate. Two improvements with the chocolate is that the melanger didn't get clogged this time and everyone put in work.