Must Eats: Chocolate in SF and Vegas

Clay Gordon
@clay
04/20/08 11:36:17PM
1,680 posts
New Chocolate Life member Ian Boyd [sorry about that Ian, Donald; if I take a look at the time when this was posted it was way past my bedtime] is planning trips to Las Vegas and San Francisco in the near future and is looking for recommendations for a "sommelier guided chocororgasm experience" in both cities.Now Las Vegas is a weird kind of place, and much of the really good chocolate is going to be in the hotels, and in the form of pastries. There does appear to be the requisite Vosges, Teuscher, and such like, and of course there is home-grown Ethel M. But for over-the-top experiences, the hotels in Las Vegas are your best bet. Unlike New York where everything is walkable, there do not appear to be any chocolate tours of Las Vegas.From my research, the one place that seems to be mentioned over and over that is highly rated is the Chocolate Swan in the Mandalay Bay. Apparently the eclairs are to die for and there is mention of a $15 three-flight chocolate and wine pairing option on the menu.Other choices include:Postrio at the VenetianJean-Philippe and Michael Mina at the BellagioPayard Patisserie next door to the BellagioFrederic Robert at the WynnAnybody care to weigh in on San Francisco?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/

updated by @clay: 04/17/15 09:13:15PM
Ian boyd
@ian-boyd
04/21/08 11:36:50AM
4 posts
Thanks for the reply - but - who is Donald Harper? This message was actually sent by Ian Boyd who, interestingly enough, is going to be staying at Mandalay Bay. I have seen a chocolate boutique in Mandy Bay before. They have a chocolate fountain, with white, milk, and dark chocolate, pouring continuously out of the ceiling - a thing of beauty. Ian.
Clay Gordon
@clay
04/21/08 12:24:11PM
1,680 posts
Ian - My bad. I've edited the post to reflect that it was my fault - way past my bedtime and foggy-brained. I've sent off a request to a colleague who is in a position to know what's hot and what's not in Vegas pastry at the moment and when I hear back I will post his insights.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Sandra Andrews-Strasko
@sandra-andrews-strasko
04/21/08 12:59:11PM
8 posts
Re. San Francisco-- My fondest wish is to get there this summer and write a chocolate guide.My current list:Christopher Elbow Artisanal ChocolateChocolate Heaven,Chocolate CoveredChocolatBittersweet, The Chocolate Caf,Coco-luxe Confections,Cocoa Bella Chocolates,Shaw's ConfectionsXOX TrufflesTeuscher,San Francisco Chocolate Factory
Ian boyd
@ian-boyd
04/21/08 01:18:46PM
4 posts
No worries
Ian boyd
@ian-boyd
04/21/08 01:19:53PM
4 posts
Thanks Sandra - I'm already vibrating just thinking about it. Ian
Patrick Sikes
@patrick-sikes
04/22/08 10:26:25PM
9 posts
Ethel M in Vegas has a fun tour. There chocolate is Godiva+ quality/taste. I did really like there orange cremes.They are way off the strip though so you will need a car or take a tour that includes it as a stop. We called to find out how much a taxi was but took a bus tour to Ethel M, Hoover Dam & lunch for less than a taxi ride...Patrick

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 4 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores