New to Raw Chocolate

John Benton
@john-benton
11/23/11 10:25:17AM
5 posts

Hello
I am making raw chocolate, but having difficulty making it last more than a week or 10 days

I've read through these posts looking for advice. But I am not making it from the bean

I mostly use Sunfoods Raw Cacao Powder/ Mesquite/ Soy Lecithin / Vanilla... sometimes Spirulina
Mix it up and add Cacao Butter / Coconut Oil / Agave until I get a paste
I set it in the fridge and it gets hard (more like a brownie consistency left out)
but after a week it starts going a little off...

I have read the water content in Agave ma make it go bad...?

So i have even done experiments with coconut crystals to sweeten it, so the only binding liquid is the butter, but then the chocolate is too brittle. I like the slightly maleable (almosy brownie like consistency.

How would I go about making this last longer?
Should I use more cacao butter ?
Is there some trick to making it shelf stable?

Thanks so much, in advance
John

updated by @john-benton: 04/12/15 07:47:31PM
Clay Gordon
@clay
11/26/11 10:13:17AM
1,680 posts

John:

When the chocolate "goes off" what does that mean? Does it start to taste rancid? Is mold growing? What's happening?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
John Benton
@john-benton
11/26/11 10:25:19AM
5 posts

'Morning Clay,

It's hard to describe. Not moldy, but soapy tasting, almost like it's heading towards rancid...

It has been suggested that maybe it's the water content in the Agave.

Any suggestions are appreciated

Thanks

John

Clay Gordon
@clay
11/26/11 01:00:28PM
1,680 posts

Certainly, free water in the agave syrup (or any other ingredient) is a contributor.

One way to test this is to make the exact same recipe but leave out the agave. If, in a week, you don't get the taste change you know that the water in the agave is encouraging the growth of something. You can then try an alternative form of sweetener (e.g., coconut palm sugar).

If you do get the taste change, make the recipe removing one ingredient at a time until the taste change does not happen. Now you know what ingredient is reacting with the water in the agave and you can find a substitute.

It may be that the cocoa powder/mass you are using has mold or other spores in it. These are much harder to control than in "cooked" chocolate because of the low temperature processing. You have to be much cleaner working, too.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Kerry
@kerry
11/26/11 08:41:20PM
288 posts

If it is developing a soapy taste then saponification of either the cocoa butter and/or coconut oil is likely at fault. A metallic alkali reacts with a fat or oil to form soap.

Sunfood claims that it's cocoa is 'lower acid' than other cocoa - meaning higher pH and also high in magnesium, therefore I believe making it a 'metallic alkali'.

I'm uncertain if lowering the pH in some way may prevent this from happening, perhaps acidifying your agave in some way.

--
www.eztemper.com

www.thechocolatedoctor.ca
John Benton
@john-benton
11/26/11 11:56:46PM
5 posts

That's a great plan, Clay.

Will let you know how it goes...

John Benton
@john-benton
11/27/11 12:00:53AM
5 posts

Kerry

This is a brilliant explanation and addresses the specific taste. The first test I will do is to change the Cacao powder!

Thank you, I'll keep you posted.

John

Ice Blocks!
@ice-blocks
11/27/11 04:48:41PM
81 posts

Sounds likethe cacaomay have been dutched (alkalised) with either sodium or potassium carbonate to help it dissolve in water.

John Benton
@john-benton
11/28/11 12:45:45AM
5 posts

Interesting. I didn't realized that was what Dutched meant.

Thanks Ice

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 3 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores