Suggestions needed for spent raw cacao nibs

Mark Rogers
@mark-rogers
12/19/11 10:37:45AM
1 posts
I've just made some chocolate vodka, soaking raw cacao in vodka for a week or so. The result is a rather nice, light brown, unsweetened chocolate flavoured vodka, and a pile of less chocolate-y than before raw cacao, tasting distinctly of alcohol.I know what to do with the vodka, but has anyone any suggestions for the cacao?Incidentally, this experiment was prompted after making 7.5 litres of quince gin (and the only use for the leftover quince was to throw it away).Mark
updated by @mark-rogers: 04/10/15 03:45:17PM
Clay Gordon
@clay
12/20/11 01:56:54PM
1,680 posts

I've been thinking about this, too, and playing around with grinding them up to a very fine, smooth, paste (they're pretty soft) and adding them cake/brownie batter. I haven't made any in a while - but it's on my list for something to do the next time I make a batch.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
brian horsley
@brian-horsley
12/20/11 10:26:35PM
48 posts

mildly alcoholic cacao smoothie? could be nice for the beach (its summer here). muddle the nibs with mint for a mint chip martini? add them to any kahlua or baileys based drink?

these are all wild guesses obviously.

whats your process for the cacao/vodka, just soak them in there? how long? what temp? i love vodka and have lots of cacao, i might start my vodka as soon as tomorrow.

brian

Clay Gordon
@clay
12/21/11 03:10:46PM
1,680 posts

Brian - I think this is a really excellent idea and a way to incorporate the cocoa-infused vodka in the same beverage! Not a Black Russian ... what might a good name be?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores