Cocoa Beans Shells, What can you do with it?

antonino allegra
@antonino-allegra
12/23/11 09:40:32AM
143 posts

Hi All,

out of curiosisty, what can be done with cocoa beans shells?

we have quite a bit (few 100kgs..) and we are looking into creative ways to use them...

any idea around the chocolate globe?

Ciao

Nino

updated by @antonino-allegra: 04/16/15 06:31:09PM
Adam G.
@adam-g
12/23/11 01:04:22PM
20 posts

Amano Chocolate suggests garden mulch : " Today, cocoa bean husk is sold or even given away as garden mulch. For this, the husk is highly sought after. The husk is full of nutrients and has high concentrations of nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorousall important plant nutrients. Its strong fibers help to break up the soil, and thus it is particularly useful in soils with lots of clay. When used to cover the soil, it helps to keep the moisture in and makes a beautiful ground cover. The best part, of course, is that it makes gardens smell of chocolate. What could be better than that?"

Others are using it to create tea .

antonino allegra
@antonino-allegra
12/23/11 01:10:26PM
143 posts

Hi Adam,

thanks a lot! we were looking into this option, but i have read that is very dangerous if you have a dog (theobromine poisoning)....

But making tea seems quite a cool thing!

We are also making body products!

Maria6
@maria6
12/28/11 06:59:47AM
35 posts

Do you know if it's possible to use the roasted shells to make tea, without any other special treatment ?

Thank you !

Denise Brennan
@denise-brennan
12/30/11 11:01:10PM
5 posts

I have a friend who does pit-fire pottery. She usescacao husk from my bean-to-bar chocolate makingin the fire pit to color various kinds of bowls, vessels, etc and it gives a beautiful look to whatever is fired. Husk is good for garden mulch but not if there are dogs around - could make them ill. I keep thinking I'll try making handmade paper that includes bits of husk, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Maria6
@maria6
12/31/11 02:45:09AM
35 posts

very interesting ! thank you Denise. Paper is another option, we have to try.

I wish you all the best for the new year :-)

Keith Ayoob
@keith-ayoob
01/03/12 12:59:20PM
40 posts

Many of the nurseries near my home sell it in large bags -- 20 or 30 pounds or so -- for mulch, but Antonino is right. It can be deadly for dogs, and since I have two, it's out of the question. It does smell great however. You go by the pile of bags and it smells of cocoa. The tea thing sounds interesting.

Rebecca Warner
@rebecca-warner
03/01/14 10:00:55AM
1 posts

Hi Nino,

Sorry, I expect my response is far too late (2 years is quite late!), but after a recent trip to Peru I discovered chocolate tea which is absolutely delicious. It's also full of theobromine (no caffeine) so has wonderful properties but is calorie free.

I wondered where you sourced your cocoa bean shells? I am looking myself for a source of high quality cocoa shells suitable for consumption (ideally organic) so would really appreciate any info.

Warm regards

Becca

Clay Gordon
@clay
03/01/14 12:55:28PM
1,680 posts

Becca -

Try getting close to one of the craft chocolate makers in the UK -- Duffy, Willie, etc., and see they will offer them to you.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 3 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores