Cleaning of airbrush

Scott Hoffman
@scott-hoffman
01/21/12 12:25:04PM
3 posts

I'm teaching myself airbrushing of cocoa butter colors. I have a good background in airbrush work from my hobby of building plastic models.

However: what do you use as a thinner to clean the equipment after you have finished with one color and which to change to the next? Thinking alcohol would dissolve fats I tried Everclear with no luck (straight ethanol), hot water works poorly.

What works best?

updated by @scott-hoffman: 05/02/15 04:41:43AM
Andrea B
@andrea-bauer
01/21/12 04:04:16PM
92 posts

You don't need to clean between colors. Take one color off, blow out as much remaining color as you can, attach you next color and spray again to make sure you aren't getting residual before spraying your molds or whatever. You need to clean the sprayer when you are done. Check Chef Rubber for a food-safe cleaner they sell for sprayers.

Brian Donaghy
@brian-donaghy
01/23/12 07:28:20PM
58 posts

Scott

I use warm vegetable oil, especially when I am done spraying for the day or an extended period of time so that butter doesn't crystillize in the brush.

brian

Scott Hoffman
@scott-hoffman
02/01/12 10:01:29PM
3 posts

What type of airbrush are you using? I've tried a badger 250 and 350 (very simple design) and have had no success with them. I'm starting out with my cocoa butter at 90 deg. F.

I have experience with a badger 200 and Paasche single action using enamel and other paints.

Should I switch to a double action top loading airbrush?

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores