Michael Karren
@michael-karren
03/04/12 10:00:51PM
12 posts

The Chocolates I make are mostly cream centers (fondants) and I hand dip and sign them. As I have tasted chocolates from some local shops I have noticed how smooth and soft their centers are. As I have studied them I realized there's no way they could dip something that soft and sticky and keep them a pretty shape. I was later told about Invertase. I have never used it but wonder if this could do the trick. My chocolates have been tasty and creamy, but not to the same extent. I don't want liquid centers just an extra silky smooth cream. What are your opinions and instructions on invertase.

updated by @michael-karren: 04/21/15 05:54:36AM
Andrea B
@andrea-bauer
03/05/12 09:27:36AM
92 posts

I have no specific instructions (i.e. on how much invertase to use on a percentage basis), but, yes, this is exactly what invertase is for. You can adjust how creamy/liquid your centers will be by adjusting the amount of invertase you use. You centers will be solid and easy to work with and will become more creamy/liquid over a very short period of time once the chocolate has been finished. This is typically how chocolate covered cherries are made. Obviously if you sell you chocolates you will need to allow this process to occur so your customers get the product with the texture you intend.

Michael Karren
@michael-karren
03/05/12 11:36:49PM
12 posts

Great! Thank you for your input! I will play around with it this week!

Mark Heim
@mark-heim
03/06/12 08:21:54PM
101 posts

Invertase comes in several strengths. You only need a few tenths of a percent. The invertase will continue to invert the sucrose, increasing solubility, softening the creme. The inversion continues until the syrup phase gets to 20% moisture. Cordials become more liquid as you add more water with the fruit. As sucrose inverts, it takes up water to complete the two new saccharides. The more you use, the faster it works. But no matter how much you use, you get the same result. Reason to use as little as possible is it's expensive. But watch the temperature you add it as it is a protein and will denature with heat, making it ineffective. Once you get your technique and timing to completiondown you can add it at levels to match when you expect sales, commonly to get a head start on seasonal items.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 3 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores