Chocolate pourer

Kat
@kat
03/09/12 12:54:33PM
15 posts

I hand pour my chocolates into 2.5oz bars. I use regular plastic molds. Does anyone have a source of a piece of equipment that measures oz and would make my life easier to not have to then scrape the bars after they harden? And create a more uniform bar?

updated by @kat: 05/01/15 10:31:51PM
antonino allegra
@antonino-allegra
03/09/12 03:08:17PM
143 posts

simply put the mould on top of a scale (that most probably you have...) and just add till right measure.

Chocolate change its density depending on the temperature and always a good layer stay attached to the vessel.

the colder it gets the thicker it becomes.

We do our 1 kg blocks in this way and we use to do the bars with the same system..

Then we bought a continuos tempering machine with pneumatic valve that measures on the dot... and we smile ever since!

Carlos Eichenberger
@carlos-eichenberger
03/12/12 06:15:20PM
158 posts

A 100cc syringe works perfectly. Chocolate has a density of ~1.27 grams/cc so it's very easy to measure out your bars. Look for them in vet supplies.

Brian Donaghy
@brian-donaghy
03/13/12 05:01:03PM
58 posts

What about a metered funnel? Chocolate World has one that is available from Tomric in the US.

brian

Andy Ciordia
@andy-ciordia
03/14/12 01:24:59PM
157 posts

We've tried the cheap funnel and there is just not enough back pressure for chocolate. YMMV.

Alan Ian Beverley
@alan-ian-beverley
03/20/12 05:11:04AM
8 posts

Good Morning Kat

What piece of equipment are you currently taking your chocolate from?

Is a type of melting vessel with a turning wheel on, because you can have a pouring spout on these that will fill your moulds and then you can put the mould onto a vibrating table to level the chocolate, this would probably be easier, i have attached a photo of a machine that i am talking about.

Kat
@kat
03/20/12 04:57:03PM
15 posts

Thank you Alan! Right now, because I doing things out of my home, I am doing the old school double boiler, and then using a ladle to put it into a measuring cup to pour. I am hoping to find a pourer that will measure out exactly 2.5 oz so I do not have to eye-ball the exact amount.

Kat
@kat
03/20/12 04:57:39PM
15 posts

Though I would much rather be using one of these machines!

Carlos Eichenberger
@carlos-eichenberger
03/20/12 07:50:28PM
158 posts

Just FYI, I can do ~100 bars per hour or more using the previously mentioned syringe and a cheap dental vibrator. It's really very convenient because you only have to use one device to extract, measure and pour your chocolate.

For example, your 2.5 oz bars would translate to ~71 grams or just about 55cc (using the formula I gave you above) of chocolate.

Everyone else seems very fond of the $500 (funnel) or $10,000 (wheel machine) solutions, well here I am giving you a $5 one...

Carlos Eichenberger
@carlos-eichenberger
03/21/12 08:55:41AM
158 posts

So to use this plate (1950 Euro) she also needs a 12,000 Euro Selmi... yes that's by far the CHEAPEST solution anyone has come up with.

Alan Ian Beverley
@alan-ian-beverley
03/21/12 10:02:37AM
8 posts

just giving an alternative idea not saying Kat should purchase just showing what is available or is that not what we do on this website???

antonino allegra
@antonino-allegra
03/21/12 10:28:36AM
143 posts

Wow! 1950 euro!! i paid 600 by FBM.... and it look the same.

I use this injection system (we call it shower) to make our 100gr bars, so it makes 3 bars in one shot.

as soon we can effort a tunnel we can use "the shower" to make callets automatically.

Anyway, going back to the original point of discussion from Kat:

see how much production you do and forecast what could be the next step and buy what you need towards that forecast. Otherwise you will spend $$$ and soon you will be short in production again. That's why we bought the "shower" with our tempering machine, we believe that soon will pay off.....

Ciao

Nino

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores