BRIGHTNESS ON CHOCOLATE

Esteban Iriart
@esteban-iriart
04/17/12 12:23:25PM
10 posts

Hi! My name is Esteban, from Argentina. I decided to post this discussion because I'd like to know if it is possible to apply lacca or something to improve the brightness on chocolate.

I attache this image as an example of what I'm looking for. I bought this chocolate, and I can sure you that it hasn't photoshop.

1170-Chocolate.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!

Regards,

Esteban

updated by @esteban-iriart: 04/10/15 03:22:59AM
rene
@rene
04/17/12 05:53:01PM
23 posts

yes it's possible :)

Esteban Iriart
@esteban-iriart
04/17/12 06:29:25PM
10 posts

Thanks Rene! Any brand do you recomend or another alternative than lacca? Thanks again!

Gap
@gap
04/17/12 06:59:02PM
182 posts

To me that just looks like well tempered chocolate

Esteban Iriart
@esteban-iriart
04/17/12 08:58:58PM
10 posts

Do you think? I mean, here in Argentina is the only I have so shiny. I bought chocolate on the 3 or 4 most famous shops and no one shine like that.

Because of this I think they apply some glaze or shellac.

rene
@rene
04/18/12 05:16:42AM
23 posts

good moulds and they apply the first layer with finger or bruch or spraygun :)

antonino allegra
@antonino-allegra
04/18/12 05:59:49AM
143 posts

Hi There,

no need for lacca of sort, just put a very thin layer of tempered chocolate, or cocoa butter (better if airbrushed) and then layered the second time as normal.

Of course chocolate quality, condition of tempering, storage and handling can destroy the 'shininess" easily.

Stu Jordan
@stu-jordan
04/18/12 10:43:28PM
37 posts

Yes, all you need is well tempered couverture and as someone has already pointed out, you should first 'skim' the mold with a layer of tempered chocolate or coca butter spray before making your shells. Most chocolatiers don't do this because it adds time to the process, but that is essentially how you get the shine - we use our fingers to apply the very thin coat when not spraying, as it helps avoid over-crystallization of the chocolate (when it gets too much movement) which is easy to do with a brush.

all the best making chocolate,

- Stu

Esteban Iriart
@esteban-iriart
04/19/12 06:15:48AM
10 posts

Guys, thanks a lot!!! I will try with cocoa butter. Just let me make a couple of questions, please. Should Iwait that the cocoa butter dry before making the shaells?

The second question is in reference of moulds. Nobody in Argentina makes polycarbonate moulds. Do you know any manufacture that makes customs polycarbonate moulds?

Again, thaks all for your help!!

antonino allegra
@antonino-allegra
04/19/12 08:14:29AM
143 posts

contact chocolate form (chocolateform.com) they can assist you..Policarb mold are expensive BUT is an investment. they last forever.

Rosie
@rosie
04/19/12 11:38:31AM
8 posts
I'm curious as to why this extra thin layer of chocolate will create a superior shine?
rene
@rene
04/19/12 12:48:37PM
23 posts

because this gives to the chocolate crystals extra movement and boosts proper crystallization what is the base of nice sheen ;-)

Daniela Vasquez
@daniela-vasquez
10/04/12 05:27:56PM
58 posts

did it work? :)

Esteban Iriart
@esteban-iriart
10/04/12 05:42:58PM
10 posts

It work, but the shiny change a little bit based on the mold shape. Anyway I could get the shiny of the picture attached on this discussion.

Daniela Vasquez
@daniela-vasquez
10/04/12 06:53:42PM
58 posts

I also heard you can leave your chocolates on the molds and they come out shinier. Never tried it, but this was said by Greg Cook from Chocolate Arts :) he also mentioned the sprayed cocoa butter/chocolate on the molds. I'm glad it worked for you.

Stu Jordan
@stu-jordan
10/04/12 08:11:12PM
37 posts

When you get the shine right, it can be spectacular, but takes a lot of practice and some extra techniques to get it super shiny - I have attached one of ours to show the shine we achieve. No glaze, nothing added, just manipulating the coca butter pretty much in the manner laid out here (a couple of other things as well but nothing overly substantial)

Sebastian
@sebastian
10/05/12 07:03:49AM
754 posts
I'd also add that proper care of your molds will be critical for you to continue getting good shine. If you clean them with something abrasive, they'll stop shining. If you use a soap that leaves behind a film, they'll stop shining. You may consider "pre tempering" your cocoa butter before applying it by cooling it a bit, and vigorously rubbing it into the cavity with your finger. Also, if you're using a colored cocoa butter spray for decoration, no need to first apply a pure ccb film.
Esteban Iriart
@esteban-iriart
10/05/12 07:37:13AM
10 posts

Hi Sebastian,

What do you mean with "pre tempering"?

How should I clean the molds? Just water? Cold water?

Thanks!!

Esteban Iriart
@esteban-iriart
10/05/12 07:37:53AM
10 posts

Amazing!!!

Is it possible to share with us those techniques you mention?

Thanks!!!

Mark Heim
@mark-heim
10/05/12 09:32:29PM
101 posts

If all of the pieces are round, they may have been polished and glazed through panning. If they are you can taste it just before the chocolate melts.

Esteban Iriart
@esteban-iriart
10/05/12 09:47:58PM
10 posts

Daniela, I also realized that leaving the chocolates on the molds the shiny improves. Unfortunatelly, I don't have enought molds!

updated by @esteban-iriart: 06/11/15 05:13:12PM
Sebastian
@sebastian
10/06/12 06:33:32AM
754 posts

Many people don't clean their molds - they'll use the same one over and over for a given type of chooclate. Of course that only works if your temper is perfect each time, and if you're using the same colors each time.

I'm a fan of just using hot water. If your water is hard, you'll have to find a way to remove the minerals that are deposited behind - sometimes a cotton ball to buff it out works, but over time even that'll scratch up the molds.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores