Color fade

Mickey Miller
@mickey-miller
04/25/12 12:12:18PM
13 posts

What is the best coloring method to prevent or decrease color fade?

Im currently using oil-based colorings (Chefmaster and some Wilton) with white Callebaut couverture.

Until now, Ive only used small amounts of color for drizzle decorations on truffles. I have noticed a slight amount of color fade (especially with pink), but its not particularly noticeable, since there is so little of it.

Ive started doing solid chocolate lollipops with larger swaths of color. In particular, were doing some baby-themed pops (pink, blue, green, etc. filled in the deepest part of the mold, then completing the pop with dark, milk or white) that I want to sell through local hospital gift shops. Our test pops, however, are showing a significant amount of fade, just after a few days. They are currently packaged in cello bags.

Ive researched some other options like using a powdered colorant or colored cocoa butter. Could the cello bags be accelerating the fade? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Mickey Miller
Mount Vernon Confections
Mount Vernon, Iowa

updated by @mickey-miller: 04/09/15 09:50:05AM
Sebastian
@sebastian
04/28/12 07:56:12AM
754 posts

Package them in something that doesn't let the light pass through. What you're seeing is a photo-catalyticdegradation.

Andy Ciordia
@andy-ciordia
04/28/12 01:57:50PM
157 posts

"In these black bags we have 2 colored pretzel sticks.", heheh!

We've noticed colors can fade in the dark as well, might be an oxidization thought to it. Mainly it is our blues that go--sometimes red but it's not consistent. Same things happen with some of our icing colors with cakes.

Love to know a trick or brand that has more resilience. We want to try the food-based-colors as well. Neat to see if beets do the same.

Sebastian
@sebastian
04/30/12 06:03:31AM
754 posts

Your all natural, food concentrates, will fade faster i'm afraid.

Mickey Miller
@mickey-miller
04/30/12 09:29:34AM
13 posts

Yes, because the appeal of this product is visual, I'm reluctant to put themin anything but a clear package.

Andy Ciordia
@andy-ciordia
04/30/12 09:31:44AM
157 posts

You know come to think of it I've never seen our transfer sheets fade. There must be something out there that has a more reliable or longer color hold that isn't toxic.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores