Making chocolate at home

ROBERT ORFORD
@robert-orford
07/06/13 06:03:44PM
5 posts

Hi Everybody,

I am interested in making chocolate at home from scratch, from roasting the cocoa bean to the chocolate bar. I live in the United Kingdom. UK, but making chocolate here is not so well supported as in USA.

I think, I have found a source of cocoa beans on

e-bay(cocoaman)UK, and also giant juicer, I think can be purchased via e-bay as well. There seems to be many models, but most are available in the USA, are

there any cheaper alternatives to the giant juicer?

The last thing is the wet/dry grinder to remove any

grittiness from the chocolate. I have found 3, models, but Im not sure if they are suitable, Premier, 1.5 L. wonder stone grinder, Premier, 2.0 L. table top compact stone wet grinder and the Butterfly, Matchless table top wet grinder, 2.0 L?

Also, I am looking for a good book on making Chocolate at home, from scratch, from cocoa beans to chocolate bar? Is there anybody that could help me? Any help, or suggestions would be very much appreciated!

updated by @robert-orford: 04/10/15 03:12:39AM
Potomac Chocolate
@ben-rasmussen
07/09/13 01:07:51PM
191 posts

I know that the Premiers work for making chocolate and I'd imagine the Butterfly would, as well. The Butterfly's 3-wheel configuration is pretty interesting as it basically doubles the grinding surface area.

ROBERT ORFORD
@robert-orford
07/09/13 06:00:44PM
5 posts

Hi Ben,

Thanks very much for the information on grinders.

Is there any substitute for the ' giant juicer', I see there are many models on e-bay, but all seem to

be USA based with expensive postage?

Kind regards

Robert.

Brad Churchill
@brad-churchill
07/10/13 12:52:41AM
527 posts

There is a website solely dedicated to making chocolate at home.

It's www.ChocolateAlchemy.com

Cheers.

Brad

ROBERT ORFORD
@robert-orford
07/10/13 06:33:28AM
5 posts

Hi Brad,

Thanks very much for the link, much appreciated!

Cheers Rob.

Potomac Chocolate
@ben-rasmussen
07/10/13 09:51:57AM
191 posts

If the juicer is to pre-grind the nibs before putting them in the melanger, I'd suggest skipping it altogether. You can put nibs directly into the melanger.

ROBERT ORFORD
@robert-orford
07/10/13 04:44:15PM
5 posts

Hi Ben,

That sounds like a good idea, but would you haveto be very careful in making sure all the 'husks' were removed from the roasted cocoa beans? I have seen the filter on the juicer produces the cocoa mass, but does also filter catchparticles of 'husks' out. Is, this what you have done just transfer the nibs directly into the grinder?

Best Rob.

Potomac Chocolate
@ben-rasmussen
07/11/13 09:14:25AM
191 posts

Yes, you'll want to make sure that it is well-winnowed. I just winnow and then put the winnowed nib into the melanger.

ROBERT ORFORD
@robert-orford
07/11/13 10:50:36AM
5 posts

Hi Ben,

Thanks very much, I appreciate all your help.

Best Rob.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores