I thought I knew chocolate and cacao but after visiting your website...

Grant Wills
@grant-wills
05/29/09 06:48:18AM
5 posts
... I have figured out that I don't know much at all. I read and heard their were three varieties namely Criollo, Forastero and Trinatario. Just today have read a paper on new classification that names 10 genetic varieties. I look forward to reading through the forum threads and growing my knowledge of this fascinating bean its history and its apparent nutritional benefits.The world has a view of chocolate (commercial sweet) which they directly relate to high % cacao chocolate and cacao products. I believe this is wrong and through this forum and research I want to find the truth and teach people this truth.So please help me find the truth about this fascinating bean
updated by @grant-wills: 04/17/15 05:56:00AM
Alan McClure
@alan-mcclure
05/29/09 08:14:49AM
73 posts
Okay. First, it isn't a bean, and the cacao seeds don't really come from a pod either: http://patric-chocolate.blogspot.com/2008/07/cacao-fruit-mystery-continues_31.html Enjoy!
Mark Heim
@mark-heim
06/17/09 06:50:03PM
101 posts
Criollo and Forastero are the two basic types. Trinatario is a hybrid of the two. Today they have been so cross bred and with the unique contributions from the environment you hear of over a dozen new types, many named by where they are grown. 3 good resources for information are from Minifie, Beckett, and for more on the farm information, Cook. There is also a book with nothing but pictures of beans.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 4 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores