Shelf life of Pernigotti cocoa powder

Dorothy Rackley
@dorothy-rackley
11/25/12 06:05:18PM
7 posts

Can anyone please tell me the shelf life of Pernigotti cocoa powder? It has a higher fat content (20-22%) and I want to make sure I am not using any that has gone bad.

Thanks,

Dorothy

updated by @dorothy-rackley: 04/18/15 03:41:11AM
Sebastian
@sebastian
11/26/12 12:10:13AM
754 posts

Every cocoa powder, unless it's lecithinated, will have the same shelf life if properly stored. Assume proper storage conditions, and it's not lecithinated, your cocoa powder will be good for up to three years.

Dorothy Rackley
@dorothy-rackley
11/26/12 12:02:14PM
7 posts

Can you tell me what you mean by "unless it's been lecithinated"?

And why am I always reading that cocoa powders with a high fat content have a low shelf life?

Thanks!

Dorothy

Sebastian
@sebastian
11/26/12 07:33:33PM
754 posts

A very small amount of cocoa powder will have been processed to contain lecithin. Unless you've specifically asked for it, yours is not.

Why do you read that? i've no idea 8) i've read lots of crazy things on the internet.

One t hing you'll need to watch with higher fat powders is that they will be more susceptible to both temperature and pressure, in that the fat in them may melt or squeeze out, and when it resolidifies, will turn yoru bag of nice powder into a brick of solid cocoa. however, it's still fine, it's just needs to be reground.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 4 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores