Ganache???

Gustaf Mabrouk
@gustaf
03/26/13 11:52:51AM
9 posts

Hi,

I have question in regards to the word ganache...where does it come from (origin) and what does it mean?

Help!!!

G

updated by @gustaf: 04/21/15 01:22:42AM
Daniela Vasquez
@daniela-vasquez
03/26/13 02:15:03PM
58 posts

It's a french word. It's supposed to mean "fool", there's was a helper in a pastry shop who spilled hot cream over chocolate by mistake and the chef called him "ganache" but the cream was a complete success. they don't use the word in its original context anymore though :)

Gustaf Mabrouk
@gustaf
03/26/13 02:45:52PM
9 posts

Daniela...yeah I heard that story too but I need true facts!! I saw that the word came from the French language, where it means literally, jowl, from Italian ganascia, modification of Greek gnathos jaw more at -gnathousFirst Known Use: 1977...I found this in the Merriam Webster site.

The name also refers to the lower jowl of a horse...

But I need true facts...ANYONE!!!

Gustaf Mabrouk
@gustaf
03/26/13 02:51:00PM
9 posts

BTW...How many cocoa beans does it take to make 1 kilo of dark chocolate?

Clay Gordon
@clay
03/27/13 10:14:03AM
1,680 posts

Gustaf:

On this last question: it depends on the recipe. What is the percentage of cocoa? Dark chocolate could be in the range 35% cocoa to 100% cocoa.

Also, if cocoa butter is added to the recipe you need to know the extraction ratio of non-fat cocoa solids to fat in order to know how many beans were used to generate a specific amount of cocoa butter.

And then - you need to know the fat ratio of the beans themselves. 47% fat? 53% fat?

And then - what variety of beans are you talking about? Industry is more or less standardized around 100 beans == 100 grams. However, some varieties, like the wild beans from Bolivia, are upwards of 140-160 beans per 100 grams. It takes many more Bolivian wild beans to make a kilo of chocolate than CCN51, which are much larger.

Not sure why you want to know the answer, but the question is only answerable within a narrow range, and only after you have values for the variables involved.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Gustaf Mabrouk
@gustaf
03/27/13 10:35:02AM
9 posts

Thanks Gordon!! do you konw of any food historians that can solve the ganache question?

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores