Chocolate Drinking Machine Recommendations

Louise O' Brien
@louise-o-brien
01/19/14 09:06:20AM
14 posts

Brad

I haven't tried it yet, but im delighted with the formula, I buy chocolate coverture not liquor, I sell hot chocolate pack basically flaked chocolate and spices etc, they sell really well for me. I am going to try to come up with a recipe to sell the chocolate flakes with the cornflour included so the result is a thickened drink. Have you any recommendation of how I might achieve this, maybe if I add a small amount of powdered sugar with the cornflour mixed in as per you recommendations and ratio, do you think this would work?

Louise

Larry2
@larry2
01/19/14 11:22:22PM
110 posts

I tried the recipe. I'm going to keep trying and playing with it. When you posted it, it connected a lot of dots. :) The light especially kicked on when I thought about using chocolate liquor instead of coverture or ganache. - There is less fat in liquor! In reading other recipes, some people complain about the cocoa butter separating out and forming an unappealing layer on top.

I don't have ready access to Chocolate Liquor, although I will find some. To try the recipe (I couldn't wait) I discovered the unsweetened baking chocolate at the grocery store is chocolate liquor. - at least the ingredient list simply states that it is "chocolate". I doubt that chocolate is from high quality flavor beans, but it was a good start.

I'm looking forward to trying many variations and will hopefully be able to get my hands on some liquor from high quality beans.

- Thinking about this, I wonder how much flavor, texture, and fat variance there is amongst various beans and roasts. This is a whole new area of chocolate to discover :)

I will also admit that heading up to Canada to try some O.M.G. is on my bucket list now.

Thank you for sharing the recipe Brad!

Brad Churchill
@brad-churchill
01/20/14 04:18:04AM
527 posts

You're welcome Larry;

There isa LOT of flavour variance from various types of beans and roasts. I currently import 5 different varieties of beans, and have found that only one of them makes an appealing drinking chocolate. The other 4 are too fruity (while I can roast out the fruitiness, it simply makes more sense to celebrate that characteristic in another way, and find a bean that works betterfor drinking chocolate)

In the meantime, your use of unsweetened baking chocolate (aka liquor) is a BIG improvement from cocoa powder, even if the liquor isn't as good of quality as that from premium beans. I'm sure you even noticed the difference right away.

The drinks I have created (and am currently working on) have become so popular that they represent almost 1/3 of each store's revenue, and are great for filling the sales void between "chocolate seasons". Combine that with some simple baked goods using our own in-house made liquor and it makes for pretty good months all around.

Cheers

Brad

Brad Churchill
@brad-churchill
01/20/14 04:20:23AM
527 posts

Louise;

There is a big difference between corn flour and corn starch. I don't use corn flour.

Brad.

Louise O' Brien
@louise-o-brien
01/20/14 04:50:10AM
14 posts

Brad

Thank you for pointing out that corn starch is a different thing to corn flour, I never knew this, I have to get my hand on cor starch now, I live in Ireland and it is difficult to find some ingredients, As soon as I try it out I will let you know, it may be a few weeks before I can source corn starch.

Thanks

Louise

Larry2
@larry2
01/20/14 01:34:17PM
110 posts

It may be a translation thing. - I Googled "corn starch and Ireland" & found that in Europe, corn starch is called corn flour.

- Corn Starch - very fine, white powder, used to thicken gravies...

Corn Meal - Coarse bits of ground corn. i.e. Polenta.

Louise, is the corn flour you have that fine white powder?

Louise O' Brien
@louise-o-brien
02/04/14 04:33:19AM
14 posts

Hi Brad

I tried the drinking chocolate yesterday its wonderful so chocolaty.

I made it by mixing the corn starch with the powdered sugar first, then I added the ground cocoa paste 96% cs, I boiled the milk and whisked in the dry mix brought back to boil and let simmer for 2 minutes to thicken.

I did it this way as I intend to supply the mix in a bag for sale.

Do you think this is an ok way to make it. It tasted fantastic and I could not taste the corn starch in it.

(Also whats called corn flour in Ireland and the UK , is actually maize starch, I checked the back of the pack)

Louise.

/ 2

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Vercruysse Geert

Vercruysse Geert

Marita Lores

@marita-lores • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Pascuas 2019
IMG-20190327-WA0016 IMG-20190318-WA0020 IMG-20190320-WA0020 IMG-20190327-WA0013
Liana Ayala

@liana-ayala • 5 years ago • comments: 4
Posted a new Comment on @jessica-osterday:
"Hi Jessica, I have purchased some cocoa butter from Ecuador at Conexion chocolate, it  is really good. Try  to contact them because I don't know if they have..."
Clay Gordon

@clay • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Need New OG Ecuadorian Cacao Butter Supplier"
"Jessica -  The archive does not get a lot of traffic. Try re-posting here:..."
jessica@graciaschocolate.com

@jessica-osterday • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Brian Mikiten