Adding coconut sugar to cocoa paste

Chocolo
@chocolo
05/05/17 07:29:42AM
1 posts

Hi everyone,

I'm still very new to the chocolate making process and am yet to purchase a melanger to make my chocolate from scratch. I have practised tempering shop bought chocolate and now that I have that technique sorted, I wanted to make chocolate sweetened with coconut sugar, so I melted 140g organic cocoa paste and stirred in (or attempted to stir in) 60g coconut sugar that had been ground down to a fine powder in my nutribullet. However, I had probably stirred in around half of the sugar and the mixture began to thicken and look like it had seized. I tried this method again the following weekend, presuming that some water had somehow dripped into the mixture, but the same thing happened. Can someone explain why? I have purchased some liquid sunflower lecithin, in the hope that this will thin the mixture more and allow me to add the full amount of sugar desired. I have not tried this yet though and didn't want to waste more expensive cocoa paste in case there was a reason to this problem that I was overlooking. 

Many thanks for all your help,
Lois 

updated by @chocolo: 05/06/17 05:37:50AM
andre_rangel
@andre-rangel
06/04/17 07:46:03PM
3 posts

Let me see if I got you : you added grinded coconut sugar to a chocolate mixture in the grinder and the whole thing started to thincken.

beth campbell
@beth-campbell
06/15/17 12:42:11AM
40 posts

hi there,  So I use coconut sugar for my chocolates and I suggest two things;  use some sort of desiccant to get all moisture out of the sugar. ALso don't add too much sugar at once.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores