ACMC chocolate temperer motor replacement (You know, the white table-top one).

Brandon Buckner
@brandon-buckner
10/22/11 07:25:33PM
13 posts

Okay, so in our shop, we have a couple of large Hilliards tempering pots and one ACMC pot used only for tempering white chocolate. Its motor has recently burned out. I need to replace it and would like to know if anyone has a recommendation for either a better motor or a specs to ask for when calling a company for a replacement.

I'd like to say, before this discussion gets into a "you need a better temperer," I know this and plan to do so, but can't shelve this temperer just yet.

Thanks for any info you can share in replacing this motor.

updated by @brandon-buckner: 04/10/15 07:56:42AM
Ruth Atkinson Kendrick
@ruth-atkinson-kendrick
10/22/11 10:05:11PM
194 posts
When I had an ACMC, the temp control went out. I called the company and they had me send it back to them. They charged $100 and sent me a totally new melter. If they are still in business, you might call them first.
Brad Churchill
@brad-churchill
10/22/11 11:11:55PM
527 posts

Dayton makes a motor that works (Acklands Grainger sells them), and uses metal gears. Model DMD4LL07. The problem with the ACMC motors is that the gear boxes are plastic, and they ALL strip. (I have 6 of those machines and all of them have had the motors replaced).

The holes for the screws even fit with the Dayton motor..

It's 3rpm slower than the ACMC motors, but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

HOWEVER....

You will need to weld on a small extension to the shaft coming from the gear box and shape it to fit the collar that turns the bowl. I did that as a test with one of my machines, and the motor hasn't failed since.

Hope that helps.

Brad

Brandon Buckner
@brandon-buckner
12/05/11 01:45:53PM
13 posts

i appreciate it! I ordered an exact replacement and had it up and running in about 15 minutes. It was a quick fix. I want to look into the motor Brad mentioned though, because I can only expect another 3 yrs out of this new motor and I like to think that a 700 dollar machine should run longer than that. I may just try to build one from scratch.

Thanks a lot and expect more questions from me...

Brandon Buckner
@brandon-buckner
03/13/14 08:28:51PM
13 posts

Do you know if this (DMD4LL07) is still an active part number? I just tried to locate one and cannot find it. I just had my second motor go out. Such a bummer, and I'd like to have something more stable if I'm gonna spend the money to fix it. Just ordered another plastic gear motor in the meantime.

Thanks!

-Brandon

Brad Churchill
@brad-churchill
03/14/14 03:58:33AM
527 posts

I have looked for a better replacement and found a similar gear motor through Acklands Grainger. However, the shaft length is different, and I had to weld an extension to the end to make it fit the ACMC. Unfortunately the only decent option is to order new motors from ACMC.

Chirag Bhatia
@chirag-bhatia
03/14/14 02:51:36PM
27 posts

Don't know if this will work, came across this DIY temperer on youtube

How to build a large capacity home chocolate tempering machine

Brandon Buckner
@brandon-buckner
05/06/15 04:35:07PM
13 posts

I'm about to have to replace another motor since originally posting this. (I think I have replaced one in between that time)... We since added a Chocovision Revolution 3Z to the shop and it has some design flaws as well... Why would anyone think that plastic is a good material for something in an area (on the machine) where tension, heat, and constant movement are all happening all the time?! We've had to send it back for repair and haven't even had it a year. I sent a letter with some suggestions for fixing the issue. I'm sure they'll assume I'm a smart a$$.

I'm still on the lookout for a replacement motor for the ACMC. It's a small enough temperer for our white chocolate needs, and while I don't mind paying a bit for upkeep/maintenance for the machine; I'd rather have to do it less.

Thanks!

(Oh, thanks Chirag-Bhatia, but I couldn't get the link above to open)

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores