INVERTASE Please Share Some Wisdom!

John E
@john-e
10/01/13 11:43:23AM
20 posts

So this is my issue. I have a truffle recipe I am trying to create and after a few days it crystalizes(sandy texture inside the filling). The ingredients inside consist of sweetened condensed milk, table cream, cocoa powder etc. I then put this in a pot over the stove to cook it until it reaches a certain consistency then cool it off until it is ready to go inside truffle shells.I would really like to extend the shelf life by stopping the crystallization from occurring. Some people told me that invertase is the solution to the problem. I ordered some from Lorann oils but I have no idea how to use it. Please, anyone who may have some information will be helpful!

Thank You!!

updated by @john-e: 04/13/15 01:38:12PM
Larry2
@larry2
10/01/13 06:29:35PM
110 posts

I'm not sure about a specific recipe to refer you to, but this thread has some great information on invertase.

http://www.thechocolatelife.com/forum/topics/invertase

I'd also suggest looking into Wybauw's book Fine Chocolates - Great Experience 3 http://www.amazon.com/Fine-Chocolates-Great-Experience-Extending/dp/9020990209/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1380666490&sr=1-1&keywords=fine+chocolates+3

It specifically discusses shelf life and is very insightful.

Have a great day,

Larry

Jeff Stern
@jeff-stern
10/01/13 06:35:15PM
78 posts

Invertase will soften a fondant center but may not necessarily prevent crystallization or give the same result in a ganache. While cooking, you may want to add a tablespoon of glucose-or any amount in small enough proportion to your recipe that it will not change the consistency much. Glucose can help prevent crystallization. Hope this helps.

John E
@john-e
10/02/13 01:42:26AM
20 posts

Thanks a lot for the help I appreciate it! Say the crystals that are forming are from the Lactose (lactose crystals) will the invertase work to inhibit their growth also?

John E
@john-e
10/02/13 01:43:15AM
20 posts

Thank you!

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores