After tempering

Andre Banks Rocha
@luisa-abram-chocolates
12/03/14 05:52:56AM
6 posts
Dear All,After the chocolate is tempered and poured in the molds, what is the desirable temperature range to cool it??Many thanks,Andre
updated by @luisa-abram-chocolates: 04/12/15 04:24:55AM
Clay Gordon
@clay
12/03/14 11:57:32AM
1,680 posts

Andre -

The temperature will affect the time it takes to cool. As important is airflow above and below the mold to remove the heat. The combination of temperature and airflow will determine the amount of time it takes to cool completely.

55F-60F is a good place to start.

You do need to think about humidity. If the difference in temperature between ambient and the cooling environment is great enough condensation can form on the bars - and this is a bad thing.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Andre Banks Rocha
@luisa-abram-chocolates
12/03/14 05:42:00PM
6 posts

Many thanks Clay.

It's been a hot summer over here in Sao Paulo and room temperatures frequently stay above 28C (82F), so I bought an air con to help temper my chocolate. After that, I put the the chocolate in a refrigerator to cool it down, but I'm not sure if this is the appropriate. I read in other posts that it ok as long as the chocolate does not stay long. Is that so? Or I should buy an equipment that does that and sets the temperature in the range you mentioned?

Thanks!!

Clay Gordon
@clay
12/03/14 06:20:16PM
1,680 posts

Andre:

Whatever works, works. If the refrigerator works for you then you don't need to invest in other equipment.

The real solution is to find a way to work in a room that's 20C. While it will take longer for the molds to cool than at 15C, you will find that tempering will be easier and much more consistent when the room is around this temperature. You should a temperature and humidity gauge in the working area and take notes as you work. If you have problems you may find that changes in temp/humidity may be the cause.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Andre Banks Rocha
@luisa-abram-chocolates
12/03/14 06:39:29PM
6 posts

Great Clay. Cheers!

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores