Weirdest Mold Release Issue

Andy Ciordia
@andy-ciordia
12/09/15 02:48:02PM
157 posts

We do a lot of molds for different occaassions and have used these santa ones for a year. We pulled them out of our seasonal storage and went to work like we do on others. However what we're getting is stuck chocolate. Doesn't matter the grade, the temper style, a layer is sticking to the mold and then the bloom that happens is just incredible.

We've used the same batch of chocolate in other molds to perfect release. BIZZARE.

We've tried a thin layer of added cocoa butter, no real help. A really thick one helps but its so thick you have to do a lot of post-cleanup which doesn't help.

We don't use dishwashers so I can't think it was a washing situation. While these aren't our premium polycarbonate they aren't the cheapest ones you can pick up either.

Anyone got some clues or ideas we can throw into the matrix of problemsolving?

20151202_111243.jpeg
20151202_111243.jpeg  •  935KB

updated by @andy-ciordia: 12/09/15 02:48:54PM
Sebastian
@sebastian
12/10/15 06:45:50AM
754 posts

Is it possible they're being stored on a heated surface, raising the temperature of locallized areas in the molds?  Looks very much like thermal abuse to me.

Andy Ciordia
@andy-ciordia
12/11/15 03:56:00PM
157 posts

Sebastian:
Is it possible they're being stored on a heated surface, raising the temperature of locallized areas in the molds?  Looks very much like thermal abuse to me.

I agree. I also feel it's thermal instability in the setting up, but when they are again set right next to other molds and the other ones come out fine. These are by far the most eggregious pictures. Others have a little peeling and some slight temper break on them, these were just frighteningly so.

We tried half filled molds and they set better but still not releasing well or bloom free.

I'm wondering if someone washed these funny but I've just never seen this to this extent before and while I'm no old hat we've been doing this around 8 years... Just.. Bizzare! If it weren't the season I'd undertake a full matrix experiment like I did toffee ages ago but I just have no time to slow up and be thoughtful, lol!

David Menkes
@david-menkes
12/12/15 03:46:31AM
32 posts

Couple followup questions - are you warming the molds? Are you measuring the temperature of them? Are you chilling them after adding chocolate into them?

Andy Ciordia
@andy-ciordia
12/14/15 11:34:45AM
157 posts

David Menkes:
Couple followup questions - are you warming the molds? Are you measuring the temperature of them? Are you chilling them after adding chocolate into them?

I think we got it. I had to get involved more. Hard to gauge how things are going on through people explaining. Just gotta do it yourself and see to build a good troubleshooting matrix.

What I found through observation and tale--

First I had the molds cleaned with white vinegar and polished all nice. Gotta start off with a clean slate right?

Then the chocolate, it was always being used soon after temper bells--we let it rest/integrate more. I've seen issues before when the temper is rushed into use. That got rid of the blooming.

Then the molds themselves were not being heated and being that they are rather deep...so we preheated them some like we've done for other more sturdy polycarbs and viola they no longer stick.

I knew if we stopped and thought the actions through we'd nail it out. I just figured a lot of what I'd consider good mold handling would have been thought of. Another rule of thumb, not everyone thinks like you do. lol.

Here I thought we were in some weird new territory of mold bizzare natures and lo and behold, it's still the most basic elements stacking on top of each other.

Thank you for your time, considerations, and commentary. It is always appreciated.

Sebastian
@sebastian
12/16/15 06:35:03AM
754 posts

Temper problems are ALWAYS due to:

1) Time

2) Temperature

3) Contamination

Sometimes folks overcomplicate the troubleshooting - just keep those 3 tenets in mind and it helps weed out the background noise so you can ID the issue more quickly.  That's the Sebastian Principle I.

Also, for some strange reason, these things never seem to pop up during slow times.  They always present during peak season.  That's the Sebastian Principle II. 8-)

[Edited by Clay to correct a typo for clarity.]

Chocotoymaker
@chocotoymaker
12/17/15 09:27:59PM
55 posts

Sebastian:
Temper problems are ALWAYS due to: 1) Time 2) Temperature 3) Contamination   Sometimes folks overcomplicate the troubleshooting - just keep those 3 tenants in mind and it helps weed out the background noise so you can ID the issue more quickly.  That's the Sebastian Principle I.   Also, for some strange reason, these things never seem to pop up during slow times.  They always present during peak season.  That's the Sebastian Principle II. 8-)

Sebastian,

Do you have a chocolate shop ?

Sebastian
@sebastian
12/18/15 06:40:03AM
754 posts

No.  But some might say I dabble ;-)

Ruth Atkinson Kendrick
@ruth-atkinson-kendrick
12/18/15 08:54:14PM
194 posts

You are way too modest!!!

Sebastian
@sebastian
12/19/15 09:22:23AM
754 posts

You're too kind Ruth - one of the fascinating things about this category is theres ALWAYS something new to learn - which makes it a ton of fun!

Have a very Merry Christmas!!

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores