DIY Easy build full sheet pan - 6 Mold shaker for bar molds Save $1500!

Powell and Jones
@powell-and-jones
03/11/16 06:25:19PM
30 posts

Hi Folks,

Just posted a comment on another topic regarding building a DIY cocoa butter press.... that's not something I'd ever try although I've got a full workshop with a welder, lathe etc available.  

But still, in the spirit of DIY,  here's something both useful and relatively easy to make,  I've attached two photos of the 6 mold shaker I built this week.  I looked to buy a similar set up and it was going to be $2000!  My version uses the same Oli brand vibration motor I found under one of my purchased commercially made single mold shakers (Catalog price 1000 Euro!) 

This bigger version cost me less than $400 and a few hours of messing around in my workshop. Main parts needed:  One Aluminum NSF marked 18 x 28" sheet pan, some 1" stainless tubing, plastic joints and some fasteners etc., along with a 18 x 26 Silpat mat.   The vibration motor and compression springs were $220 on Amazon and the rest of the parts were found / sourced locally.   I even fitted a cheap router speed control ($7 at Harbor Freight) to make the thing fully adjustable.     Using my lathe I machined 4 sets of bushings for the springs and also a piece of tooling to countersink the mounting screws in the sheet pan, apart from that only hand tools needed.... Mainly a big hammer to fit the plastic frame joints!

Looking forward to being able to vibrate 6 filled bar molds at a time,  also good for Easter eggs etc.     If anyone wants details,  send me a message and I'll provide more detailed info....

MJ

updated by @powell-and-jones: 03/13/16 01:47:41PM
Daniel Haran
@daniel-haran
03/16/16 01:52:48PM
49 posts

Can you link to the exact motor and springs you bought? Thanks :)

Powell and Jones
@powell-and-jones
03/16/16 05:24:29PM
30 posts

[quote="Daniel Haran"]

Can you link to the exact motor and springs you bought? Thanks :)

Daniel,

Here's the specifications:

OLI Vibrator: MVE.0041.36.115 Electric Vibrator Motor, Single Phase, 2 Poles, 3,600 RPM, 60 Hz, 115 Volt , 143.30 Lb Output Force ( *adjustable)   

This may be a wee bit too powerful in truth, but better too much force than not enough.  n.b. Adjustable with blade rotation and or the router speed control.  It's also important to note the Fc these produce is different depending on the electrical supply frequency  i.e.  50 Hz (Most of the planet Wink ) versus 60Hz (USA).   You get considerably more Fc (centrifugal force) at 60Hz versus 50Hz) so it is possible in the States that the smaller (cheaper) MVE 21 series motors may also be suitable?  However, I've not tested one on this set up.

* Setting the blades inside the motor: Turning 4 blades... (see instructions with motor) provides a 16# centrifugal force, (11.1% of maximum Fc) this setting in combination with the springs I used seems good.  Tested as supplied the motor could probably vibrate an entire 6' x 4' kitchen table. Now there's an idea....!

Springs:    Part Number    C08500922250S
Compressed Length    1.413  inches Outside Diameter    0.85  inches
Wire Diameter    0.092  inches  Spring Rate    25.32 Inch Pounds Load Capacity    16.98  pounds  Overall Length    2.25  inches Size    0.85"
Material Type    stainless_steel_302
Specification Met    AMS 5688 , ASTM A313                                                       Number of Items    10
UNSPSC Code    31161904
Currently Backordered Sad on Amazon, Pack of 10 - $23 when available.

I made the bushings to hold the 4 springs such that there is about 1" free on each of coils, this clearly modifies the relative spring rate,  but again seems to work well.

Have fun! and if you build one be sure post details....

Mark

updated by @powell-and-jones: 03/16/16 05:25:30PM
Thomas Snuggs
@thomas-snuggs
03/22/16 12:06:59AM
23 posts

Hi Mark,

I built a vibrating table with a much smaller motor, a little too small, but my table is only for two molds. See here: https://www.thechocolatelife.com/thomas-snuggs/gallery/vibrating-table/all. I purchased the motor as listed in your post and I just tried it out tonight. It was quite comical. Something like trying to play whack-a-mole except I was chasing the mold around my small table to fill it with chocolate. I fill my molds using a 2oz scoop with chocolate from a melter. I even had the speed on the new motor as low as I could go without it stopping. I'm going to adjust the blades in the motor to calm it down a little. 

On a positive note, I don't think the chocolate that I just molded will have any air bubbles. Happy

-Thomas

Powell and Jones
@powell-and-jones
03/22/16 02:10:15AM
30 posts

Thomas Snuggs:

Hi Mark,

I built a vibrating table with a much smaller motor, a little too small, but my table is only for two molds. See here: Vibrating table . I purchased the motor as listed in your post and I just tried it out tonight. It was quite comical. Something like trying to play whack-a-mole except I was chasing the mold around my small table to fill it with chocolate. I fill my molds using a 2oz scoop with chocolate from a melter. I even had the speed on the new motor as low as I could go without it stopping. I'm going to adjust the blades in the motor to calm it down a little. 

On a positive note, I don't think the chocolate that I just molded will have any air bubbles. Happy

-Thomas

Hi Thomas.   I warned in my post it was a bit of a beast!  Set the blades for 11% Fc and it should be good, you may have got away with using a MVE21 series motor and they are a little bit less expensive....  Still better too much shaking rather than not enough go!    MJ

updated by @powell-and-jones: 03/22/16 02:12:26AM

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores