peppermint chocolate

LLY
@lly
05/15/16 01:12:48PM
52 posts

Hi,
Did anyone try to mix essential mint oil in chocolate?
It's a popular taste recently.
Which oil do you use?
how much oil approximately you need to 1 kg of chocolate?
boiling point to avoid from evaporation while in the grinder?

Thank you

Peter3
@peter3
05/15/16 07:23:15PM
86 posts

Peppermint oil from Sevarome.

Use 1 ml per 1 kg.

Do not add to the grinder or conche.

Add to liquid chocolate before tempering or even better just before depositing if you can mix it in well. This will reduce the clean up.

Please remember that chocolate absorbs flavours very well so you run a risk of everything smelling a bit minty if you are not careful while producing or cleaning. 

LLY
@lly
05/16/16 05:28:48AM
52 posts

Thank you, helpful advises.

1 ml per kg is a lot less from what I would guess.

Do you know this product: http://il.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Essential-Oils-Peppermint-2-fl-oz-59-ml/21127

And from your point of view, how was the taste?

Daniel Haran
@daniel-haran
05/16/16 02:55:52PM
49 posts

All the aromatherapy stuff is hella overpriced - and often the taste isn't as great as the smell. I used Lorann for my latest experiments, which was easily available and better than the 3 different brands of aromatherapy oils I could get my hands on.

Peter3
@peter3
05/17/16 07:20:40PM
86 posts

In our case the taste is pretty good, both in milk and dark chocolates.

We have been selling the product in large quantities for years.

LLY
@lly
05/18/16 05:03:15AM
52 posts

The Lorann oils doesn't seem to be cheaper, they sell it in a tiny amount of 1/8 oz

rulesofbio
@rulesofbio
05/19/16 02:08:58PM
1 posts

I love this perfect combination. Mint chocolate is one of my favorite flavors, I've tried them on teas and cheesecakes.  I'll try that product

Sebastian
@sebastian
05/19/16 05:54:22PM
754 posts

Knowing the strength (or the 'fold') of the flavor is helpful to guide usage levels.  Most of what you're buying off the shelves is a single fold (single strength) - i might suggest a starting point of 0.1% on a weight basis and evaluate.

I've worked with some essential oils, however, that requires FAR less than that (as in 0.00000x%) - so little that it's hard to even measure it correctly.  It's pretty unlikely that's what you're finding, but it's always good to be aware that it's out there.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores