Bacon in chocolate

Bud Stockwell
@bud-stockwell
12/01/10 06:46:26PM
18 posts
I read the discussion under shelf life and it touched on bacon and food safety. I wondered if anyone is making chocolate with bacon and what techniques to use. The food science dept. at a local university said I need to get the water activity to under 8 but I don't have a hydrometer to measure water activity. I was planning on caramelizing the chocolate first which seems like it should cook out any water but I am feeling cautious. I did like the suggestion to get it to taste and feel like I want it to and have a very short period on the shelf. Still ideas from those experienced with bacon would be helpful. Thanks
Bud

updated by @bud-stockwell: 04/14/16 06:41:59AM
Sebastian
@sebastian
12/01/10 08:43:29PM
754 posts
I hope your food science didn't tell you go to to an Aw of less than 8 - i think they meant 0.88-)Also, it's worth noting that, in the US, the FDA wants to become involved - or treat you as a meat facility - if you include meat (including bacon) in your products at a 2% or > level. Vosages Haut is having to deal with this presently.
MelodyB
@melodyb
12/01/10 10:57:09PM
8 posts
HI,I have been experimenting with this as well. First, I tried baking the bacon and then dipping it chocolate...so good. Then I tried putting inside a mold with a ganache type filling, again decadence. Since I make on demand there really hasn't been any problems but would love to hear how long a product like this is good for.~Melody
Warren Laine-Naida
@warren-laine-naida
12/04/10 09:44:53PM
3 posts
I have cooked the bacon to leech out the fat and then blended that into a ganache instead of the butter. It is a good taste!
Erin
@erin
12/13/10 09:03:16PM
30 posts

The Food Channel show Unwrapped had a 2008 show titled "Candy Bar Bonanza" that talks in more detail about the Vosage bacon in chocolate process. I know that it showed again on 10/25/10 at 7:30PM. Not certain if you could Hulu it or find it some other way. Hope it helps.

Jackie Jones
@jackie-jones
04/06/11 01:26:35PM
15 posts

I have always cooked the bacon crisp and prepared within 24 hrs of taking to an event.

Now someone wants in their boxes of Easter Truffles. It would be eaten within a week.

Safe?

Jackie Jones
@jackie-jones
04/06/11 01:31:59PM
15 posts
If the bacon is cooked & dipped within 24 hrs of delivery, I would think I would be safe. However, there is the question of how quick the folks that receive the gift would eat the bacon truffle. So maybe I need to shy away unless it is for a party and prepared just before the event.
Ruth Atkinson Kendrick
@ruth-atkinson-kendrick
04/06/11 11:05:44PM
194 posts
In Utah, we can't add bacon at any level without becoming a meat processing facility.
Jackie Jones
@jackie-jones
04/07/11 09:05:16AM
15 posts
In NC you have to purchase precooked bacon or go to a restaurant facility to cook the bacon.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores