Dipped ginger-infused truffles cracking or streaking

Nicole Gnutzman
@nicole-gnutzman
09/26/11 05:41:53PM
24 posts
When I dip my ginger-infused truffles, the tempered chocolate sometimes cracks or streaks. I've reduced the amount of cracking by rolling the truffles in my hand in tempered chocolate first, letting that set, and then dipping them with a dipping tool, but it's a lot of work! The streaking is confounding me. The chocolate is in temper (88 degrees), so I'm wondering if there's too much liquid in the ganache or if the ginger is somehow affecting the temper.
updated by @nicole-gnutzman: 04/24/15 06:25:05AM
Mark Heim
@mark-heim
09/28/11 09:42:37PM
101 posts
Watch the time you roll the truffles in hand with chocolate. Temperature of your hands at the surface are 92F+ and you can untemper the chocolate. When you then dip again, it can soften and blend with the untempered first coat. Also watch the temperature of the centers, if too cold you can get streaks as you no longer control crystallization.Try rolling on parchment paper in chocolate. The paper on wood or styrofoam sheet keeps it from cooling too quickly.
David Israel
@david-israel
09/28/11 11:43:33PM
1 posts
As Mark stated, your centers should not be cold; they should be at ambient/room temperature when dipped. Also, you may try rolling the centers first in untempered chocolate, as that first coat will not contract--and possibly crack--around the center. Once that first coat is set, you can dip the centers in your tempered chocolate.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores