The best way to include coffee into chocolate

Maria6
@maria6
03/09/12 06:07:39AM
35 posts

Hello !

I have just found someone who roasts freshly coffee and I have some ideas to make chocolate with this coffee. Can I put the coffee in the grinder with sugar and other ingredients ? How do you make it ?

The problem is that I have just one grinder and I make other types of chocolate too..

Thank you in advance for your help !

updated by @maria6: 04/21/15 10:20:24PM
Brad Churchill
@brad-churchill
03/09/12 11:24:17AM
527 posts

My suggestion would be to figure out a way to use the coffee in your confections, and not grind it at all into your chocolate. Coffee is a very strong flavour, which could very easily find its way into other chocolate you make regardless of how much you think you've cleaned out your grinder.

Andy Ciordia
@andy-ciordia
03/14/12 01:34:29PM
157 posts

I agree I wouldn't grind it in there, it's going to create a grain you're customers are going to notice. The few thoughts which flit by my mind is to either make it into a simple syrup (make extra strength coffee, boil it down to 1/2 then make a normal simple syrup, and boil away more of the water--this would take some trial and error) for addition or take the simple syrup and boil it down a bit more then let dry, break it back into the sugars and you've got a coffee flavored sugar.

Or you can do like Brad mentioned and do it through the confections. We do an espresso truffle where we've extracted the espresso into the cream before creating the ganache.

Mark Heim
@mark-heim
03/14/12 07:41:10PM
101 posts

I saw a bar at Fancy Food Show a couple years ago, made somewhere in PA, he used ground coffee, sugar, and cocoa butter, processed it like you would make chocolate, into a fine paste, then formed it into bars. Very nice work.

Tom
@tom
03/14/12 11:09:06PM
205 posts

2-5% coffee ground into whatever chocolate you are making makes a fantastic mocha bar of chocolate. I reccommend it with a really fruity chocolate like Madagascar or Australian with a little milk powderit is by far the prefered bar that I make and I make a lot of different and crazy stuff. I find it grinds down so it is not noticable in the chocolate - smooth as and at this level there is no problem with cross contamination of chocolate batches. I make this type of chocolate a lot. Ghirardelli makes a similar type of bar to this. Do it!

Gap
@gap
03/15/12 01:31:21AM
182 posts

Interesting post here

http://www.thequenelle.com/2009/10/cappuccino-chocolate-bar-or-usin...

Chef Migoya uses coffee beans to produce "liquor" and adds sugar and cocoa butter to make chocolate. The post is interesting as is the Comments section which generated some interesing questions and answers.

Edited to add: to incorporate coffee in my chocolate confections, I put 100g coffee beans in 600g of white chocolate (at 45 C), cover the bowland keep the bowl at 45 C (either in a heat cabinet or put your bowl inside a melting tank heated to ~55 C. Leave for 4-5 hours and then strain out the beans. The white chocolate has a strong coffee taste and smell.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 4 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores