Working on a cocoa farm

Sarah Ariella Shapiro
@sarah-ariella-shapiro
05/05/13 04:51:09PM
3 posts

Hi All,

I'm traveling down to Costa Rica this October, and was wondering if anyone knew of any working cocoa plantations, farms or coops I could possibly work on for a few weeks.

Thank you for your help,

Sarah

updated by @sarah-ariella-shapiro: 04/14/15 11:38:22PM
Michael Bodner
@michael-bodner
05/09/13 05:46:18PM
2 posts

Visited Costa Rica last month and had the opportunity to tour a couple of outstanding cacao farms while I was there. I would be glad to share that experience and contact information. Both were quite rustic and might be challenging for any kind of extended stay. Michael

Gifford Laube
@gifford-laube
05/10/13 09:38:43AM
7 posts

If you wanted to change your destination (slightly), there are options here in Nicaragua for this kind of thing. Matagalpa (they call it the North, but it more like the center of the country) has a lot of cocoa production and some interesting things to see if you are interested.

Giff Laube

Sarah Ariella Shapiro
@sarah-ariella-shapiro
05/10/13 10:37:55AM
3 posts

Thank you so much for your input. I am absolutely flexible. Please let me know more specific details if you have them.

Sebastian
@sebastian
05/10/13 05:37:19PM
754 posts

Great area. Lots of red and black 8)

Carlos Eichenberger
@carlos-eichenberger
05/14/13 08:54:14PM
158 posts

Sarah, just be aware that October is THE absolute wettest month of the year in Costa Rica. With that said, I can suggest at least one place where you can ask if they will have you. If interested, contact me privately.

Peter Kring
@peter-kring
05/18/13 07:17:38PM
8 posts
October is the main cacao harvest time in Costa Rica. It is NOT the wettest time in the cacao growing areas. It is wet in October in areas that have the longest dry seasons and thus not that great for growing cacao. The weather should be good all the way from Upala to Limon and Talamanca and into the Bocas del Toro area of Panama which is beautiful and pretty good for cacao. The best bean to bar is probably in the town of Puerto Viejo, Talamanca. Peter
Juan Pablo Buchert
@juan-pablo-buchert
05/19/13 10:16:39PM
8 posts
Hello Sarah , this is Juan Pablo from Finca La Amistad in Bijagua de Upala, in the northern plains of Costa Rica.. You are welcome at the farm. We also produce chocolates www.chocolate-nahua.com Please send me an email with your questions and goals. Juan@chocolate-nahua.com
Peter Kring
@peter-kring
05/20/13 09:55:02AM
8 posts

Hi Juan Pablo, Sarah, I can definitely recommend Finca la Amistad. It is in a wonderful rural area of Costa Rica. The farm is well run and the cacao produced is first quality. Peter

Sarah Ariella Shapiro
@sarah-ariella-shapiro
05/31/13 02:25:39PM
3 posts

Thank you all for your responses!

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores