Sleeping near Cacao Trees

Thomas Forbes
@thomas-forbes
12/16/11 09:58:56PM
102 posts

I was just thinking about life in the campo. Just wondering how many of us have slept within a 100m from a cacao tree? I am getting pretty close to 1000 days. How about you?

updated by @thomas-forbes: 04/10/15 08:47:27PM
Sebastian
@sebastian
12/16/11 10:25:40PM
754 posts

how about 1m from a cocoa tree 8-)

Thomas Forbes
@thomas-forbes
12/16/11 11:00:03PM
102 posts

I like that

Potomac Chocolate
@ben-rasmussen
12/17/11 11:45:17AM
191 posts

I've got a couple potted cacao trees on my kitchen table. I guess I could move them into my bedroom, but I don't think that's what you're going for. :)

Thomas Forbes
@thomas-forbes
12/17/11 12:48:36PM
102 posts

Great idea. I will try that.

Davy Asnong
@davy-asnong
12/20/11 06:39:26AM
19 posts

Where do you live?

I know you'll need a good climate for producing the pods, but the tree on its own, any chanse it will grow in Belgium? :)

Clay Gordon
@clay
12/20/11 01:47:46PM
1,680 posts

Davy:

If you can grow cacao in New York City, you can grow it in Belgium. Indoors, under a daylight grow lamp (12 hours/day, regular cycles). You will probably want to start out on top of a heating mat, too. This will keep the tree warm and if you put a tray on top of the mat and put water in the tray the warmthwill help keep the moisture level up, too.

One reason you won't get pods is no pollinating insects, not just climate. I have seen pods on the trees at the NY Botanical gardens - never more than one or two. But they keep the ground under the tree completely clean of leaf litter and don't like many kinds of insect in the greenhouses, so no pollinators.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
antonino allegra
@antonino-allegra
12/22/11 07:40:00AM
143 posts

Growing a Cocoa tree indoor seems quite a cool thing to do, does any one have any link/direction on "how to grow a cocoa tree at home"? ... Thanks

NIno

Sebastian
@sebastian
12/22/11 08:00:51AM
754 posts

grow them all the time here - keep it in a bright (indirect sunlight seems to work the best), very warm (85+ F), very humid place. Unfortunately, where I live, there's winter, and the only place in the house that meets those requirements is the bathroom usually. Water every 2-3 days (watering frequency/amount is the trickiest part for me, as it's very easy to overwater). In the summers, the trees thrive outside, but watch the night time drops in temperature. Japanese beetles also see cocoa as a special treat.

If you manage to keep it alive for a few years, you can hand pollinate. The largest one i've managed to eek out has been about 6' tall (and i've got a very, very black thumb..)

Steven L Watson
@steven-l-watson
12/23/11 09:04:19AM
4 posts
For the lat several days I have lived among the cacao tress along with the Monos in Ecuadorian Amazon.
Ancel Mitchell
@ancel-mitchell
12/26/11 12:51:51PM
6 posts
We live on an old cacao plantation, so pretty much if I'm home then I'm within 100 feet of cacao trees. See the pods from almost every room of the house :) and the squirrels that eat them. And the boas that eat the squirrels.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores