How do you do it?

Larry Jenkins
@larry-jenkins
09/25/12 12:07:38AM
1 posts

80 year old, new member here with a question..

After melting chocolate for transferring it to molds, what methods or utensiles do you use to pour the melted chocolate into the molds without creating a sloppy mess?

Thanks..

Larry

updated by @larry-jenkins: 05/03/15 10:18:00PM
Gap
@gap
09/26/12 12:30:03AM
182 posts

Larry - everything with chocolate starts off messy. As you get better at it you learn how to do it cleaner. I use a spatula or big plastic spoon to ladle my chocolate in and then scrape the back with a chocolate scraper (essentially a plaster scraper).

Andrea B
@andrea-bauer
09/26/12 10:01:50AM
92 posts

I think it is awesome you are learning about chocolate. Like Gap, I also is a big plastic ladle to put the chocolate in my molds. I've seen these types of ladles at Bed, Bath & Beyond as well as Ace Hardware. You need a nice sturdy one. Some of the plastic ones look like the handle will snap off too easily. The one I have is a dark brown color and may actually be a hard silicone. Also, I use a scraper to clean the mold once I have emptied the excess back into my bowl. For this I went to the hardware store and bought a couple of metal scrapers - the type they use when laying tile. The metal edge is nice and thin. They are sturdy and can be easily cleaned. Don't forget to tap your molds toremove air bubbles... Andrea

Brian Donaghy
@brian-donaghy
10/02/12 03:32:27PM
58 posts

As my mentor used to say, "Is it the chocolate that is messy Brian or the chocolatier?".

The more we work with chocolate the better we get.

Good luck!

brian

Donny Gagliardi
@donny-gagliardi
10/03/12 06:06:07PM
25 posts

I apologize for my amateur question, but if you are filling a mold, lets say a bar mold, why and how would you empty the excess chocolate into a bowl? Doesnt the chocolate have to settle into the mold? How do you pour excess chocolate without pouring everything out?

Gap
@gap
10/03/12 06:12:44PM
182 posts

Some chocolate will stick to the sides when you turn it upside down and will not run out

Donny Gagliardi
@donny-gagliardi
10/03/12 06:30:37PM
25 posts

Yes but isnt that only if you want to create a shell? what if you are making a solid bar?

Gap
@gap
10/03/12 07:36:50PM
182 posts

I think I understand your question but I might have it wrong. If you're filling a bar mould: fill with chocolate, keep it upside down and horizontal and scrape the excess chocolate off with a scraper back into the bowl, keep it upside down and horizontal and let it set, turn it the right way up and pop out the bars.

Apologies if I'm misunderstading your question.

Donny Gagliardi
@donny-gagliardi
10/03/12 11:22:05PM
25 posts

Ok that makes more sense. I haveread many instructions on filling molds and pouring excess back into bowls, so its safe to assume that those individuals were making the outer shell and then filling in later. Thanks for the clarification!

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores