Posted in: Tech Help, Tips, Tricks, & Techniques
CHOCOLATE: 1lb of dark bittersweet belgian wafer (melted whole)
METHOD: Double Boiler, seed, no seed
TOOLS: Polycarbonate mould, chocolate thermometer, heatproof bowl, plastic soup ladle
For my first attempt at tempering I used 1lb of chocolate and held 10% of that to the side for seeding. I added the wafers to the glass bowl in whole, without cutting them down. I set my stove to about 6, which was probably too high because by the time all the chocolate was melted my therm. read over 133 F, when my aim was 122 F max. I took the bowl off my pot and added the seed while stirring. The chocolate was obviously too hot, because it took over 25 mins for the temperature to decrease to 90 while stirring the entire time. At this point I was also interrupted by something, so decided to just leave the chocolate in the bowl and start over.
30 minutes later I began my second attempt. This time I held the heat at 1 and watched the temp climb slowly and steadily. Once it reached 110 F I took the bowl off the heat and placed it into my sink which had water and ice (I did not get any water into the mixture). I stirred and stirred until the temp cooled down to 84F (7 mins or so). I could not add any seed because I had none left. When it reached 84 F I placed it back on the pot to raise the temp up to 87 F (while stirring the entire time). My mistake was that I turned off the heat when I removed the bowl to cool down, so it took a bit longer to bring the heat up to 87 F and I believe the temp dropped down to 83 or 83 before I could bring it back up. When it reached 87 F i took the bowl off the pot and ladled the chocolate into my molds. I used a large knife to remove the excess off the mold, and began tapping it on my kitchen counter for a few mins, to remove air bubbles. I let it sit on the kitchen counter for a few hours before placing it into the refrigerator. This morning it was tough to get the chocolate out of the bars, but I managed to get one.
Here are a few pics of how it turned out. Obviously not that great, but I would like some critiques on my end product, my method, and the areas that I went wrong. I would also like some instructions on the correct way to remove the chocolate from the moulds, as they seem stuck and easily break when removed. Thank you!
updated by @Donny Gagliardi: 04/10/15 06:44:07PM