Your take on: Organic Cacao Nibs, Organic Dark Chocolate, and Health ?

Mary Larson
@mary-larson
11/30/12 12:17:18PM
1 posts

Hi Forum,

I'm really glad that I found this site to talk about chocolate :). My name is Mary from Finland (A frozen Nordic country in northern Europe near the north pole) I would love and appreciate if you guys share with me your thoughts.

I love chocolate so much. In the past, I used to eat chocolate everyday (Especially Milk chocolate). I have spent a fortune on chocolates, and I have eaten SO MANY types of chocolates. I used to go to La Maison Angelina in Paris to enjoy their amazing chocolates.

Anyhow, Unfortunately and sadly for some health issues, Doctors have completely prohibited me from eating milk chocolate. The only allowed option for me is about 10g of dark chocolate. Well, In this beginning this was so difficult for me because I cannot live without the sweet milk chocolate, However, I tired to swap it with dark chocolate and this has been a challenge since I am not used to the bitter and strong taste. Besides, In Finland we have a pretty small market with quite limited selections, the only available options are: Lindt Excellence (Max 85%), Marabou Premium 86%, and some useless local brands such as Fazer dark chocolate that is loaded with carbs and sugar.

Anyways, Thankfully I now can tell that I can eat and somewhat enjoy the dark chocolates.

So, What is my problem?

My problem is that most recently I discovered a new product in the market here which is: Organic Cacao Nibs, and I read that is healthy but I couldn't find any comparison for it with Organicdark chocolate?

I checked the nutrition facts of the Organic Cacao Nibs and found them very close to some of the Organicdark chocolates (85%). But my question is, Regardless the taste or the preferences (Let's discuss ONLY from a pure health perspective):

Which is healthier: Organic Dark Chocolate e.g. (85%) or Organic Cacao Nibs ?

I would greatly and sincerely appreciate your inputs !

updated by @mary-larson: 04/10/15 06:36:33AM
Adam G.
@adam-g
11/30/12 03:30:12PM
20 posts

Well, remove everything from the list of ingredients for the dark chocolate bar with the exception of cocoa and you're essentially left with the equivalent of cacao nibs. The largest ingredient removed is sugar so in this case the nibs are healthier. :)

Sebastian
@sebastian
11/30/12 05:16:52PM
754 posts

Define healthy 8-)

100g of nibs vs 100g of dark chocolate

Calories 720Kcal 605Kcal

Sugar 0g 24g

Fat 54g 43g

Jeffray D. Gardner
@jeffray-d-gardner
12/02/12 01:35:36PM
13 posts

I don't share my thoughts too often on this forum as most posts are bang on in terms of an answer but I have to say 'Sebastian' made my morning when I read his post. Whether it is someonespalate or the rest ofhis/her body,everything is relative!

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores