Guitar cutter

Dirke Botsford
@dirke-botsford
04/19/14 12:12:14AM
98 posts

I am thinking of biting the bullet and buying a guitar cutter, and looking for a supplier in Canada. Anyone know of anyone? or even a used one....

Secondly, any recommendations? Double guitar or single? Pros or cons...do you find you use it enough to justify the cost? I am sure it beats using a knife but just wondering if it's worth it and would love to know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

updated by @dirke-botsford: 06/29/23 06:49:02PM
Daniel Herskovic
@daniel-herskovic
04/19/14 09:57:23PM
132 posts

Hello Dirke,

I make my living making chocolate confections and I will tell you that my confectionery guitar is one of my most important pieces of equipment. They are pricey pieces of equipment, but ultimately this tool helps me save money and make money. Several years ago when I was cutting with a knife, I would end up throwing a good amount of chocolate away because the resulting ganache was either too big or too small or funny shaped. Prior to chocolate I spent 10 years cooking in fine dining. I have excellent knife skills; however, cutting ganache is tricky and sticky and it is very hard to cut thousands of pieces into perfect squares. These days, I have very little waste and the guitar helps me produce more chocolate confections in a much shorter amount of time.

If you are looking for a confectionery guitar, I highly recommend the dedy brand from Germany. TCF sales in Texas is a great resource for these. Tom Polk who runs the company is a great guy. I have the base and just 1 frame. It cost me around $2,000 . I am not a fan of the cheaper guitars with a plastic base. They are very hard to clean and the frames that accompany them have a very cheap handle. The Dedy handle makes cutting much better and allows you to distribute your weight on the handle more evenly. The base of the Dedy is metal and it is so much easier to clean. It might be a few hundred more, but you will be glad you spent the extra money. I typically don't see a whole lot of used guitars. I would never sell mine. Whether you buy a used or new guitar, you will be very glad you made the investment! Good luck!!!

Dirke Botsford
@dirke-botsford
04/19/14 10:37:25PM
98 posts

Thanks for the advice Daniel, much appreciated. I just actually found one from Bakedeco (NYC) that I bought, just waiting now for the delivery. It's not metal based but it has three frames and from my research seemed fairly common place. So fingers crossed. I am really looking forward to not having to use a knife anymore! Hopefully it will last me a long time! Cheers and thanks again....Happy Easter!

Kerry
@kerry
04/19/14 11:13:05PM
288 posts

To little too late - but DR in Montreal handles Dedy.

--
www.eztemper.com

www.thechocolatedoctor.ca
Dirke Botsford
@dirke-botsford
04/19/14 11:54:53PM
98 posts

I'm just checking them out now, looks good. May have to cancel and switch....cheers

Daniel Herskovic
@daniel-herskovic
04/20/14 08:46:37AM
132 posts

I would advise you to cancel the order you just purchased. Way back when I bought a guitar I bought the guitar with the plastic base. It was so difficult to clean that I sold it after 2 uses and bought the Dedy from Bakedeco .Here is the link http://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?id=8883&categoryid=371#.U1PAnMJOX4g . This is the base only. You would need to purchase a frame to match. If you have a 5 mm base you will most likely want a 25mm frame . If you have a 7.5 mm base you will want a 22.5 mm frame.Let us know what you end up with.

Dirke Botsford
@dirke-botsford
04/23/14 01:21:27PM
98 posts

Alright! I did it. Thanks for all the invaluable info. I bought the dedy from DR.ca. once I looked at the quality of how it was built compared to the plastic based guitar I could really see why it made sense to go with the metal based base. Sure it cost a little more but you get what you pay for.

Thank you all so much for your advice and pointing me in the right direction. I feel I made a purchase I won't regret and have to resell in a short time, thanks to you. All the best!

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores