Criollo bars- Brands & recommendations?

Chocoflyer
@chocoflyer
02/01/08 08:30:26PM
71 posts
Having read in Discover Chocolate and other books how rare the Criollo bean is, Im curious to taste bars made exclusively with it or some variety of it. So far im aware of these brands/ bars made with criollo:Amedei PorcelanaBonnatSur Del LagoAmbanjaAnyone tried any others? Tasting notes? Depending on the beans fermentation/ drying/ roasting process there could be major differences in taste even if they are all criollo (learned from Clay's book) Would be interesting to do a blind taste comparison with them all.....
updated by @chocoflyer: 05/13/15 06:26:12AM
Sera
@sera
02/01/08 11:44:32PM
39 posts
Thanks so much for starting this Chocoflyer! :)I highly recommend the Amedei Porcelana bar, which is the favorite out of the two I've tried. Here's my tasting notes:Amedei: Chuao 70%Powerful smell of toasted coffee and red fruits. The snap is extremely hard and the break is the cleanest I've ever seen. Just flawless. The aroma at the break is more spicy and roasted with notes of cocoa. The mouthfeel is very smooth with no grain. The flavor is very tart and fruity, I get the flavors of plums, cherries, prunes and raisins. The flavor grows and intensifies at first, then subsides to a subtler flavor of cream and butter. The finish is a tad tart and a little sour but very clean.Amedai: Porcelana 70%This smells very sweet, especially in comparison to the Chuao bar. I detect notes of vanilla, cream, caramel and a bit of almond. The break is also extremely clean with a good, healthy snap. The chocolate is smooth but feels dry and cool. I taste the flavors of vanilla, milk powder, some honey and a kiss of raspberry as the ned. Has a nice even progression of flavor and leaves a clean finish.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores