Anyone heard of this Chocolatier/Chocolate?

Sera
@sera
02/02/08 08:16:14PM
39 posts
I found this bar at my local gourmet shop that's meant to be a "rustic" drinking chocolate. It's made by this Italian company called Don Puglisi. http://www.laboratoriodonpuglisi.it/dovesiamo.htm Anyone know of it?The directions on the bar say to cut off one of the sectioned blocks and melt in hot water or milk. The only ingredients are 45% cocoa mass and cane sugar.
updated by @sera: 05/16/15 05:54:52PM
Clay Gordon
@clay
02/02/08 11:53:11PM
1,680 posts
Don Puglisi makes chocolate that is very similar to the Antica Dolceria Bonajuto bars. While I ran across Bonajuto in New York at Dean and Deluca, I first found the Don Puglisi at Bittersweet Cafe in San Francisco. I have the label somewhere in my collection. There is a forum thread on Bonajuto here . I ran the first paragraph on the "la cioccolata" page through translate.google.com and this is the result: The history of chocolate modican starts from distant places and times, from "failure" between Cortez and Montezuma, in 1519. It is said that the Aztec leader, as a sign of friendship, has offered a drink made up of cocoa beans coarsely chopped, with the addition of water, maize flour, chili, cinnamon and anise seeds. Drink welcome because little bitter. In fact, I first of Spaniards innovation was to add sugar cane.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Sera
@sera
02/03/08 12:23:59AM
39 posts
Thanks Clay! It sounds so interesting, can't wait to try it!
Chocoflyer
@chocoflyer
02/03/08 04:55:16PM
71 posts
Sounds a lot like the Mexican type chocolate by IBARRA (red and yellow pkg) that comes in "hockey puck" size wafers, divided to cut like a pizza, that you add to warm milk over the stove, mix and melt all together - makes a killer hot chocolate! Its just cocoa mass, sugar, and cinnamon- very simple- but not meant for eating straight. Has not been conched at all- very grainy. I would like to try Don Puglisi- Did you try to make the hot cocoa?
Sera
@sera
02/04/08 10:05:58AM
39 posts
Yes, they do look very similar! I'm happy to see Ibarra put nutritional information for theirs, ha ha. ;)I haven't tried it yet, I'm pacing myself! I'll report back when I do. :)

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 3 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores