Tempered Chocolate

Keerran
@keerran
06/01/09 12:44:04AM
6 posts
Hi I'm new here,hope to get more knowledge about chocolates. Have a question, I have a bulk order to complete,was wondering if can I temper the chocolate in advance & store it? Say a week advance...is that possible, pls help? Tks.
updated by @keerran: 04/16/15 04:37:16PM
Brian Donaghy
@brian-donaghy
06/01/09 10:08:43AM
58 posts
yes.
Keerran
@keerran
06/01/09 10:24:36AM
6 posts
Hi there, thanks:)
Clay Gordon
@clay
06/01/09 10:26:17AM
1,680 posts
What are you planning to do with the chocolate? Is this solid bars? Confections?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Keerran
@keerran
06/01/09 10:30:48AM
6 posts
Gonna make heart shaped chocolates. Whats your advice?
Clay Gordon
@clay
06/01/09 10:38:29AM
1,680 posts
If you're making solid chocolates (shape is no matter) then you can melt, temper, and mold the pieces months in advance as long as you store the chocolate properly.Having said that, chocolate never stops crystallizing so eventually the chocolate will get crunchy and sandy. Fresher is always better, but with solid chocolate the window is weeks and months, not days.

--
Andre Costa
@andre-costa
06/01/09 11:00:30AM
103 posts
I understood the question differently. Are you going to temper the chocolate, create your bar/bonbon/molded chocolate and save it to deliver it later?Or are you going to temper it, do not use it at the moment, then melt it again and create your bar/bonbon/molded chocolate?If the latter is what you want to do, then I think the answer is that you cannot do that. Every time you temper chocolate and the chocolate hardens, if you want to melt it again you need to go through the tempering process.
Keerran
@keerran
06/01/09 11:10:24AM
6 posts
Yupp, I wanna temper it now & only use it after few days.
Clay Gordon
@clay
06/01/09 11:53:45AM
1,680 posts
I am still confused.If you are not going to be using the chocolate for several days, there is not any value in tempering it in advance and using it after a few days. Temper it when you need to use it.

--
Andrea3
@andrea3
06/01/09 11:54:01AM
22 posts
It has been my experience that you can melt down tempered chocolate and keep the temper with most chocolate. The trick is to only bring the chocolate to the melt point, and different chocolate brands have different melt points. You should test the chocolate you are using; temper it, mold it, let it set and re-melt and see what happens, then you'll know for sure ahead of time instead of finding out the day you need to get it all done.Are you using a machine or doing this by hand?Good luck!Andrea
Clay Gordon
@clay
06/01/09 01:01:35PM
1,680 posts
You may be able to, but why? Why waste the energy?

--
Paul Mosca
@paul-mosca
06/01/09 02:57:15PM
18 posts
Hi folks,I need some guidance. I have a strange blooming problem with some bean to bar chocolate that I have made in small batches. The chocolate is tempered but blooms in layers. How can I correct this problem?Paul
Brad Churchill
@brad-churchill
06/01/09 05:09:36PM
527 posts
Your chocolate has uneven temperatures in it as it's molded.Stir, Stir, Stir.Then when you think you've stirred enough, stir some more, and mold immediately.That should solve your problems.Let us know how it turns out!Brad.
Keerran
@keerran
06/01/09 09:11:29PM
6 posts
Thanks for all the wonderful replies.Sorry Clay, to confuse you :(Hi Andrea, I am doing it by hand. I need to make about 1000 pieces or maybe more of Rose Shaped Chocolates for Father's Day Charity Event. So I thought, if I can temper in advance and mould it as and when I recieved the orders.
Andre Costa
@andre-costa
06/02/09 12:39:25PM
103 posts
Kiran.Can you start making small batches now? Once chocolate is made it should last for quite a while! You will probably not be able to temper now and use it later. But you can temper it now, make some of your Rose Shaped Chocolates with it and then you simply repeat the process again tomorrow...or the day after. This way you will be able to work slowly, but steadily.Just keep in mind that you will need to re-temper every time you want to start over - I don't know how not to re-temper once the chocolate hardens.
Andrea3
@andrea3
06/02/09 07:19:25PM
22 posts
"Just keep in mind that you will need to re-temper every time you want to start over - I don't know how not to re-temper once the chocolate hardens."I'm not trying to pick a fight, but this has worked well for me:Basically your tempered chocolate is a seed, so you take your tempered chocolate and break it up into small pieces. Put about 2/3 into a bowl and heat it up to the melt point (I use the oven), it's different with every chocolate but usually around 90ish, keeping it from all melting completely, you want to keep some of the solid chocolate. Then stir, stir, stir (listen to Brad on this) until it is all evenly melted, just don't let it get too hot. I keep the 1/3 'seed' in case it gets slightly hotter than the target temp. and starts to un-temper. I do all my tempering by hand, so I guess this is sort of a tempering re-melt?I am a little confused though, I've never used a melter, but I thought this is what they did? If not, what's the point of not just buying a tempering machine?Kiran~If you are going to be molding up solid chocolates I have to agree with the others, it seems a lot less time consuming to just temper and mold than to re-melt.
Keerran
@keerran
06/02/09 08:37:54PM
6 posts
Got it, appreciate all the advise & help guys :)

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 3 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores